When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal Press?

Torques

I just got my replacement crystal for a Rolex replica whose face was smashed in. I don't have a press yet but am so tempted to try and just press it in by hand. Can I do it that way with the heal of my hand with a terrycloth towel over it without breaking the crystal? The old gasket is still in there, is it glued or will it pop out if I use a very small screwdriver? Thanks for all your help.

it really depends on the type of crystal.

if it is a sapphire (which i'm sure it is not cuz the original one wouldn't have smashed if it was) then hand pressing is easy for some cases.

if it is an acrylic (vintage), then i'd use a rubber block.....some people use a hockey puck with the correct size of hole hollowed out......and a vice to tighten things down, instead of using your hand. you will want to put even pressure on the plastic crystal and the ball of your hand might not apply it evenly.

it really depends on the type of crystal.

if it is a sapphire (which i'm sure it is not cuz the original one wouldn't have smashed if it was) then hand pressing is easy for some cases.

if it is an acrylic (vintage), then i'd use a rubber block.....some people use a hockey puck with the correct size of hole hollowed out......and a vice to tighten things down, instead of using your hand. you will want to put even pressure on the plastic crystal and the ball of your hand might not apply it evenly.

The one in the watch that broke was glass for sure, I took the pieces out. The replacement is supposed to be sapphire.

Not to crap, but I wonder how good that HF press really is... I have had a lot of HF stuff blow up on me one way or the other... but the price on it is very tempting...

I decided to go with the press from Findingking, hopefully it will work. The crystal I received already has the cyclops fitted to it, hope that is not a problem. I got this one: http://www.findingking.com/StoreFrontProfi...&i=58098396

Tell me if it will work, thanks.

I've been using the Harbor Freight press for quite some time, and it is a fine tool. (In fact, I just finished pressing on a Panny bezel with it). It is ideal for acrylic crystals, and most bezels. It is not the best for sapphires, though, as it is difficult to exert enough pressure in a controlled manner.

I also have a screw press, like the one from Findingking. This one is not very good, for one reason: the dies are all flat. (When you are pressing in a domed crystal, you want to apply the pressure to the edge, and this requires a concave die. A flat die will press on the center of the dome, which risks cracking the crystal.)

I've been using the Harbor Freight press for quite some time, and it is a fine tool. (In fact, I just finished pressing on a Panny bezel with it). It is ideal for acrylic crystals, and most bezels. It is not the best for sapphires, though, as it is difficult to exert enough pressure in a controlled manner.

I also have a screw press, like the one from Findingking. This one is not very good, for one reason: the dies are all flat. (When you are pressing in a domed crystal, you want to apply the pressure to the edge, and this requires a concave die. A flat die will press on the center of the dome, which risks cracking the crystal.)

So, which one do you like?

So, which one do you like?

I like the Harbor Freight press. When it can't handle an installation, I use the dies in a bench vise.

If I could only pick one low-cost crystal press, the HB would still be the one...

I like the Harbor Freight press. When it can't handle an installation, I use the dies in a bench vise.

If I could only pick one low-cost crystal press, the HB would still be the one...

Well, when you press the crystal into the opening how in the hell hard do you do it? Everyone talks about what they use and not how hard to press. I don't want to smash the replacement, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
So did you get your press? How do you like it?

If you are talking to me, it is ok, although the crystal I had received was a wrong one sent in error by Krysworks. They sent a real Rolex crystal with the cyclops already attached. I cracked the edge of the crystal trying to press it on without touching the cyclops. I have a replacement now that I haven't taken out of the package yet. Hopefully it will fit. The cyclops is separate so if the crystal is the right size the press should work. Then the only thing left is to glue the cyclops on. I hope I don't mess that up.