When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Explorer. Say What!?

jmb

OK, I build a lot of Explorers and my quest has always been to be able to make the best looking Explorer I can for an affordable price-tag.  The big sticking point has always been what I would term a "reasonably priced" dial.  To me a $100+ dial is not really a budget item.  I have been after my parts guy for years to get me some vintage Explorer dials and it's always , "No, can't get them..."  Well, I guess he finally got tired of me hounding him and said he could get me some samples.  I was ordering cases so I told him to get me an "assortment".

I received my order today and have samples of three different dials.  "Regular" with yellow lume, Gilt with yellow lume, and gilt with white lume.  Not being much of a gilt freak I took my prototype White Explorer and swapped dials with the Standard/yellow lume dial and I think I like it.  The numbers are placed about right, the printing seems crisp, and it had feet to fit ETA 2824 family so no clipping and gluing required.

If feedback is good I may commit to a batch of these.  The down-side is that minimum quantity is 100 of each type.

Here's a pic...

post-24124-0-58657200-1401911524_thumb.j

It is not bad. I am no Explorer expert by any standards but it looks to me the markers could all be a tad thinner? The stick markers look a little wide and the triangle a tad wide and or short. And maybe even a little thinning on the numeral font?

Admirable cause and work though as always. I might even be interested in a 1016!