When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

World's Most Perfect Sports/tool Watch?

eunomians

What's not to love? It's the watch that started it all!

This is the watch that folks first started scuba diving, surfing, snorkeling with... Why? Because it's built like a hermetically sealed tank. It is no wonder that the British Ministry Of Defence had the issued to the Royal Navy. And Comex used 5513 as a base watch to create 5514.

After wearing many watches that I own, I still find the 5513 to be the perfect tool/sport watch.

It is perfectly sized and weighted - and is supremely rugged.

It remains a perfect execution of zen-like simplicity and balance.

I am always astounded at how perfect this watch is. Yes, I love many others, but the 5513 holds a special place in my collection.

164886-11359.jpg

164886-11360.jpg

164886-11361.jpg

164886-11362.jpg

I :wub: the 5513. Euno, you're very fortunate to own such a classic piece.

I should have jumped on one of these a couple of years ago before the rollie crowd began to aggressively collect them. Prices have basically doubled since. :blink:

I guess I'll have to settle for a lowly 14060 which at least has the T-25 dial.

Great pics & thanks for showing off this beauty. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

PS: You might enjoy this: http://www.watchwallpapers.com/sub.htm

euno:

sir, you honor me. i keep asking for these pics -- and not just for me... so everyone can see the GLORY of this watch.

without a doubt, it does not get any better than this. why do other watches exist? i have no idea!

please, WHY OH WHY are there no reps of this watch? [please don't direct me to the $1XX on ttime, pfclones, etc -- if you have eyes in your head, you can see NOONE makes anything resembling this.... and george's new MBW "gilt" version, with the 1680 case... it's just not the same as getting this one here... LOOK!]

we need a rep of this folks. even at mbw prices. you just can not get a decent gen for under ~ $4000 these days, it's just not attainable otherwise....

please, someone direct jay and richard tracy to this thread, these pictures, and euno's comments, so they can see this is THE watch the rep world can no longer afford to ignore. this is THE submariner, no doubt about it.

thanks again, euno. beautiful watch, beautiful pics, and excellent comments. many congratulations again, and thanks for sharing with the unwashed masses! ;)

jsph

Thanks for the comments, folks.

I think that recreating something as simple as 5513 remains too difficult for rep makers. Sounds strange but take a look at the IWC MKXV. How many years did it take to finally come out with a rep that is pretty close to OEM? It's a amazing to me that simplicity is often the most difficult asthetic to create.