When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting a new Miyota OS20 movement to start for the first time

clive

Hi

Do any of you guru's know 1) why does a brand new quartz movement straight out of the box not always start on connection of the battery?, and 2) what corrective action can be taken if this happens. This seems a fairly common problem but it is also a controversial subject.  In my case the movement is a Miyota OS20 which in general appears to be a good solid unit.  Help please.  Thanks. Clive

post-57854-0-73591100-1404200470_thumb.j

I can't remember if it's this quartz unit but I read about one of them that needed a reset pad on the back of the movement temporarily connected to the metal case / plating (any ground), then calibrate the hands to zero.

I'll try and find the link and post it.

Basically there is a small copper colored pad on the circuit board (May have to reach through the metal work to get to it) and you get a wire and connect it to the top (positive) of the battery momentarily to reset the watches computer.

A bit like the reset button on your PC.

The movements that have this 'feature' seem to be Seiko, Citizen (who own Myota) and some Omega quartz.

Here's a link to a WUS thread with pictures showing this "reset pad"

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f365/battery-replacement-tutorial-seiko-7t32-pulsar-epson-y182-287013.html

tweezers.jpg

Note the writing on the metal next to it "<-AC" for All Clear.

Also note that you must remove the battery, then short this pad to the positive terminal, then put the battery back in - I'd short it to the rest of the metal and then to the copper coloured metal spring fingers as the above image indicates.

• 5 months later...

THIS WORKS!

Hi guys, thanks for all your help and advice. As often happens, my problems were extremely easy to solve when you know how! The trick is freeing up the watch with petrol lighter fuel. I found this in an article on the web at quartz watch repair and believe you me it works 100%. I have 'cured' three quartz movements using lighter fuel (the petrol based ether mix that used to go into Zippo lighters). So its true that if movements hang around too long on the shelf they can get gummed up, as well as when in service. Hope this helps some other newbies. Ciao. Clive  :)

quartz watch repair.pdf

The secret is out!   :clap2:

You just discovered the quartz watch mechanic's secret...lighter fluid!, although most use the Ronsonol brand in the yellow bottle or can.

Lighter fluid is the same thing as $45 a gallon watch rinse. It's not a cleaner but a rinse, and this is usually all you need on a quartz watch.

I know at least three pro repair guys who use it on quartz watches. It is a very good idea to remove the circuit board and coil to prevent damage and many times you will need to take the movement apart and clean any metal 'whiskers' off the step motor on older movements. Follow up with a nano dose of light watch oil on pivots and awaaay they go.

I bet I have rinsed out a few hundred Miyota 2030/2035 with Ronsonol.

Heat welded plastic movements such as the Hattori (Seiko) PC20/21 etc will stop and can not be taken apart (they also do not take kindly to lighter fluid) but they can usually be jumped off by spinning the sweep second hand around clockwise a couple dozen times and applying a tiny bit of oil here and there. The PC sells for around $5 and the Miy 2030/35 for around $7.

I have a friend who owns a Miy 2035 powered watch that has been running for over 20 years (rinsed/oiled twice, once after a trip through the washer/dryer in a coat pocket) and have a few PC 21 running for over 10 years in miniature brass clocks. The 377 batts go for about a year and a half in either one. They are just about the toughest analog quartz movements around.

For special occasions...

Made up a Mickey Mouse watch using a Disney 'Blue Sky Mickey' dial, goldtone Dauphine hands, PC20 in a 34mm round snapback 14k Bulova case from 1953 sporting a gen-u-wine black shark skin strap and gold Bulova buckle. 

No snobby gold oysterquartz el prezidente for me thank you.    :pimp:

Miy 2025 and PC20 have two hands.

Miy 2030/35 and PC21 have three hands.

• Like 1