When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eye Candy

HauteHippie

well chief, give us the details B)

For starters, they're not mine. Some showoff on timezone posted the pic.

One thing I liked to see was the Pre-F sub. There is a little space between the edge of the case and the edge of the bezel on the side where the CGs are. On the post-F subs it seems that the bezel comes right up to the edge and you can't see any space between the bottom of the crown and edge of the bezel. My TW Classic has this space, and I thought it was a flaw... until I noticed this pic. :)

Yea, I'm sick. God help me.

I gotta say... The pics do not do the 116509 any justice. In person... This is a stellar watch. Very nice finish, great dial, which is a matte finish (harkening back to the vintages), and the case is very nice; very precision. It's got substantial heft to it... And feels quite nice on the wrist.

Not sure that I would pay $25k for it... But none the less, it's a very nice watch.

One thing I liked to see was the Pre-F sub. There is a little space between the edge of the case and the edge of the bezel on the side where the CGs are. On the post-F subs it seems that the bezel comes right up to the edge and you can't see any space between the bottom of the crown and edge of the bezel. My TW Classic has this space, and I thought it was a flaw... until I noticed this pic. :)

yep.....your sick! :Jumpy:

i'll have to check my collection and see what you mean. :D

good find!

I checked a pre-f Sub from my friend, there is no gap as you pointed out. I also checked the picture of your TW sub from another post. It seems that the gap is due to tube hole not being centered. Tube hole is closer to the case back.

So it's either POLEX also has QC issue or it's really a TW sub :wounded1:

I checked a pre-f Sub from my friend, there is no gap as you pointed out. I also checked the picture of your TW sub from another post. It seems that the gap is due to tube hole not being centered. Tube hole is closer to the case back.

So it's either POLEX also has QC issue or it's really a TW sub :wounded1:

Hmmm.... The picture I posted is from a reputable poster in the Timezone Modern Rolex forum. I'd be stunned if it weren't gen.

I don't think it's the tube hole, though... The bezel simply doesn't reach the edge of the case.

See the attached picture of a gen crown.

The gen crown sits closer to the bezel, while tw crown is closer to the case back.

That's why the gap is so obvious in tw sub.

Thank you for pointing out this flaw, which you can find in tw, cn, or "perfect" sub.

With this in mind, I can easily spot a rep. <_<

post-182-1166314301_thumb.jpg

See the attached picture of a gen crown.

The gen crown sits closer to the bezel, while tw crown is closer to the case back.

That's why the gap is so obvious in tw sub.

Thank you for pointing out this flaw, which you can find in tw, cn, or "perfect" sub.

With this in mind, I can easily spot a rep. <_<

post-182-1166314301_thumb.jpg

Yea I understand the crown issue but still don't think it's the culprit. It is more likely that the bezel diameter is just a hair too small. Remember that with these older TW Best watches, such as Bruce's, the genuine bezel inserts have to be slightly reduced in diameter to fit in the bezels. So that would seem to account for the slight gap that doesn't seem to be there on the modern MBW 16610. The MBW doesn't require a reduction in bezel insert diameter, and I'd guess that the nicer CNs don't either. But then, the gap is slight and definitely visible on the gen A serial from certain angles as shown in my original picture! So I don't think it's the dead giveaway that you think.

Just to clarify about the modding of the bezel insert, all modern models including mbw & cn do not accept gen inserts without some modding. I haven't owned a mbw but I have yet to hear of anyone fitting a gen insert into one without modding it first. It could be but I just haven't heard of it yet. I had a cn model from josh which was my first sub and it had to be modded just like the tw...

After looking at these photos though it's apparent that the crown does sit too low in our reps...and of course we all know that the bezel is just a touch smaller than the gen bezel...which accounts for an ever so slighty larger gap between the edge of the bezel and the top of the crown...the latter pics really capture this gap well. The gap is smaller than that on our reps due to the above mentioned two factors...not a big deal though, I still love my sub. :)

Just to clarify about the modding of the bezel insert, all modern models including mbw & cn do not accept gen inserts without some modding. I haven't owned a mbw but I have yet to hear of anyone fitting a gen insert into one without modding it first. It could be but I just haven't heard of it yet. I had a cn model from josh which was my first sub and it had to be modded just like the tw...

After looking at these photos though it's apparent that the crown does sit too low in our reps...and of course we all know that the bezel is just a touch smaller than the gen bezel...which accounts for an ever so slighty larger gap between the edge of the bezel and the top of the crown...the latter pics really capture this gap well. The gap is smaller than that on our reps due to the above mentioned two factors...not a big deal though, I still love my sub. :)

The skinny, I believe, is this for modern subs: Older TW Best subs have slightly smaller bezels and require a diameter reduction for gen inserts to fit. Newer MBW subs (and whatever the case on Ubi's modern sub is) have bezels that fit genuine inserts in diameter, but are too shallow thus requiring material to be removed from the underside of the insert - but not from the outer diameter.

All of them have the crown uncentered (seated low) in the case.

Hmmmm... What do you guys think? The one on top is my 16610 frankenstein...

Definitely low like the MBW and TW Best. A huge "who cares" to me as it is very difficult to notice. The issue on the older TW Best was simply a slightly small outer diameter to the bezel. And even that is hardly noticeable as even the gap on gen A serials is somewhat noticeable.