When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Generic Rolex 3135 Datewheel Vs. Eta 2824-2

vmena

I always had in mind that there's no way to use a rolex datwheel in an ETA because ETA rotates datewheel in opposite direction than rolex does. But after searching a bit in the internet I realize that it is different the date movement direction in a rolex 3035 (vintage) than in a 3135 (modern), so I question to myself as well as to yours if a generic 3135 datewheel from offrei could be used to fit an ETA 2824. I guess that it would be necessary some additional work. Find below some pics to illustrate my questioning.

Rolex 3135

165612-11129.jpg

ETA 2824

165612-11130.jpg

What do you think?

Yes, 15xx and 30xx movements have the date rolling counter clockwise; the 3135 rolls clockwise like ETA.

The datewheels are thin enough that you could glue one down to the ETA wheel like an overlay, but as cheiftang mentioned, the datewheel from the 21j noobmariner is of excellent quality, and in my opinion, better than any of the aftermarket 3135 wheels out there. That is the overlay I used in my franken-DJ...

I don't think it will work. Luckily, though, we have the Noobmariner date wheel overlay which will work, and is an excellent match to the 3135 print.

But what do we do? buy a noobmariner just to get the datewheel? <_< Ubi... when will you have your vintange datewheels ready, please!!! :winkiss:

But what do we do? buy a noobmariner just to get the datewheel? <_< Ubi... when will you have your vintange datewheels ready, please!!! :winkiss:

Well, the nice thing (from a modder's standpoint) is that Noobmariner movements seem to crap out often so you can have pretty good luck finding a used broken Noobmariner for around $40. That'll get you the dial, the bracelet, and the overlay. I've acquired two this way. Plus I just picked up another bracelet. I'm not sure why, but the price was right. :)

Well, the nice thing (from a modder's standpoint) is that Noobmariner movements seem to crap out often so you can have pretty good luck finding a used broken Noobmariner for around $40. That'll get you the dial, the bracelet, and the overlay. I've acquired two this way. Plus I just picked up another bracelet. I'm not sure why, but the price was right. :)

You smart boy.

I looked at a scan of a decent modern sub overlay w/ the hopes of suggesting to ubi that we add it to the list of watchmiester datewheels, but even dicking around with it in Illustrator for a few minutes, couldn't improvew it much--certainly not enough to go through the hassle of printing. Unless they stop making the good-overlay subs I think buying a used one for the overlay and spare parts is the way to go....

As far as the vintage wheels, I learned on friday that the final production run will be carried out sometime this week!