When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to separate gen ceramic insert from bezel?

importr

Guys

maybe someone can help me here. I've looked at the past threads on the gen bezel subject but none detail how to separate the insert from bezel.

I've got the gen bezel, and the latest Noob GMT IIc. I know the bezel isn't a straight swap so how about just the insert?

I've tried gently levering it with a screwdriver, tried heating it in boiling water, but still can't get it off.

Suggestions?

Thanks

I've separated a gen 116610 insert from the bezel successfully.  I had some special dies fabricated for it.  I could do it for you (assuming of course its the same size as the SubC).

Alternatively, I have read that a very thin screwdriver tapped under the insert might also work, but if you ask me, that is a recipe for disaster.

The insert is pressure fit, like the "old" steel inserts.

IMG_3736_zps7ff8f894.jpg

IMG_3744_zps542cfcc2.jpg

IMG_3746_zpse64aad36.jpg

IMG_3747_zps1a75d530.jpg

IMG_3730_zpsa44f6088.jpg

Thanks for the replies but I think the hidden ring inside the bezel is different between the Sub and the GMT.

If you look closely at the underside of the gmt bezel, the scalloped part is larger diameter than the bezel internal diameter. So it can't be pushed from underneath? I have a crystal press and dies.

I was thinking about heating it up again and then arranging drawing pins poking into every hole. Then apply pressure to the top of the steel bezel?

I'm really paranoid about breaking it though.

You have to apply more pressure than you think. And evenly. But that would work. Not sure how much it would help to heat it. There's a tiny lip on the inside of the top of the bezel that holds the insert in place. Not sure if that portion would expand toward the middle of the bezel as its heated or not. If it does than the grip on the insert will tighten.

Sorry that  can't give any tips to remove the insert, but you are right in that Rolex does use a special die that fits the slots in the bezel.  Here is a scan showing the die (sorry it isn't super clear).  Good luck and let us know if you succeed.  Thanks!!!!

GMTmaster09_zps39ec1356.jpg

Thank you so much for the advice! Brilliant! I managed to remove the inner ring by simply levering it with a screwdriver, revealing a white gasket that holds that in place.

Now I will think of a way to get the insert out using a press.

Will keep you posted,Cheers guys

20140708_233107.jpg

20140708_233118.jpg

I heated up the bezel again, got an old wooden chair leg that was tapered, passed the bezel over it and then gently pressed down.

The ceramic insert is held in only by the bezel lip.

Fitting to the rep bezel wasn't a straight swap. I used a ceramic tile file to slightly reduce the outside diameter of the insert. Then it just about fitted with a click. No glue was used.

20140710_081714-1.jpg

So modify the rep click spring to fit in the gen bezel insert holes. I think all you need to do is file down the posts (make them thinner a bit, and only in one dimension, you don't have to keep them round).

Always put the cheapest, most replaceable part at risk first.