When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not Even Water Resistant

Torques

I had my watch 2 inches under the surface of my pool for like 1-2 seconds, then went inside and rinsed it off lightly in case of any chlorine. I then dried it well with a towel. Thirty minutes later I notice there is some misting under the crystal. I put the watch out in the sun, should that fix it? It's a Seadweller from one of the rip-off sites, ha ha, otherwise I like it.

Edited by Torques

Thirty minutes later I notice there is some misting under the crystal. I put the watch out in the sun, should that fix it?

You need to have the crown open if you're attempting this type of fix. Even then, this isn't likely to work, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, Reps aren't sold as water-resistant.

You need to have the crown open if you're attempting this type of fix. Even then, this isn't likely to work, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, Reps aren't sold as water-resistant.

How do you get the crown open? I do have a case opener now, but I don't want to mess with taking out the crystal if I can help that, too much from now, just starting out.

Edited by Torques

How do you get the crown open? I do have a case opener now, but I don't want to mess with taking out the crystal if I can help that, too much from now, just starting out.

Crown - the thing you use to set the time. You need to make sure that's as open as possible otherwise the water vapour has nowhere to go and will just rust the movement up.

What watch is it?

Seadweller, do you mean just pull it out as far as it will go?

I found a little packet of silica and I put it in a baggy with the crown pulled out as far as it will go. How long might that take to fix. The water is very hard here, I hope if it dries it will not leave little water spots in there.

I'm glad I bought a Rolex caseback opener. When I started to unscrew, it was basically not on tight at all, maybe that's where the water came in. So I put the watch in the baggy with the silica with the back off. Would it hurt to blow some heat in there or just leave it in the baggy?

By experience, once water comes into the watch, unless you open it, remove the movement and dry it outside the case, the result will be a damaged movement for ever an ever...

I'm glad I bought a Rolex caseback opener. When I started to unscrew, it was basically not on tight at all, maybe that's where the water came in. So I put the watch in the baggy with the silica with the back off. Would it hurt to blow some heat in there or just leave it in the baggy?