When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 Keyless Stem Issues

imajedi

Hey guys, trying to put a gen dial on my SMP 300 chrono and I can't get the stem back in. I've read that this can be very tricky on the A7750 but it just won't go in for me. I figured the keyless was mucked up so took the top plate off to have a look and it looks ok to me.

zyma7y7a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/

14/07/16/ty2ebame.jpg

Can anyone see anything out of wack from my pics? I found this awesome tutorial on RWI about 7750 keyless and fixing the yoke but my yoke is sitting right in the groove so that's not it.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=135678

Symptoms are:

1. Stem goes in and will wind watch when turned. Even clicks in slightly farther when wiggled but still winds watch. Always pulls out and only ever winds the watch. No date set or time set.

2. The little tab you push to allow the stem to release completely falls out of the movement when turned upside down. It also gets ejected on ocassion when you click the stem in the extra notch talked about above in 1. I can put it back in and press on it but doesn't seem to help. :-( Here's a pic of it laying on the table. Is this normal? Did something break? u7utetu6.jpg

Any thoughts guys. I really want to get this back together and on my wrist.

Thanks,

Jedi

Figured it out. On the 7750, the setting lever in the keyless works is supposed to be press fit together with the pin you push to release the stem. These came apart on my movement and that's why the pin popped out shown in the photo above. This totally Fs the keyless works because the setting lever pivots about that pin, which doubles as the stem release. Accordingly, if they come apart, the setting lever is just floating instead of being secured in pivotal position. Swapped the part out with one from a 7753 I had and put the movement back together about 7 different times and finally everything works perfectly with the gen dial installed. Miracle really. My first successful 7750 surgery. The dial side seems to be a little more forgiving than the back side. Look at the sweet gen dial...

mazy9a4e.jpg4evu6udy.jpguva3aby9.jpg

Oh, btw, I also figured out why some watch smiths won't touch these movements. A number of pieces broke during the process for no reason. Luckily I had a A7753 in the parts been I could scavenge. However, it was ridiculous how many pieces broke or just fell apart during this process.