When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anybody know pocket watches?

HaydenM

Hi all,

Not rep related but I have a friend who often wears a crappy quartz pocket watch and his birthday is coming up so I thought if he's going to wear a pocket watch he might as well wear an old mechanical one.

So today the pocket watch arrived but as soon as I would it and set the time the minute hand dislodged. Upon inspection the minute and hour hands are somewhat warped and I believe this cause the hour hand to pop the minute hand off of the canon pinion when it crossed over it. Is there any way to reseat the minute hand? if so how would I do this?

20140723_zps95e374c4.jpg

Thank you all in advance and hopefully I have posted this in the correct area.

HaydenM :)

Haydn

It looks as if the hand is not sitting squarely on the pinion. Are you able to gently and carefully remove the front and using an eye loop sguqrely use a Bic pen lid or similar to gently and squarley push the hand down?

These are quite rovust but do excercise caution and care, in the UK I have a guy that services these from $100-200 depending on what is wrong. The tatched is one of my Pocket watch conversions, it is a Jaeger Repeater and chronograph movement which is about 120 years old a modern twist on a truly wonderful piece of horology history.

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-71057500-1406091982_thumb.j

post-48021-0-64613300-1406091998_thumb.j