When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just In Case Someone Wants To Start Printing Date Overlays

FlipLockBuckle

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would like to start printing Date Overlays.

I have a Datewheel from my old Replica Submariner with open sixes, i could make some laser printer copies and could send them to someone who is intrested and who has the ability to print/copy it on special paper and cut them out professionally.

I don't know if this would work, but if someone is intrested in starting his own datewheel business i could make some high quality copies of it (different qualities, sharpnesses, and so on) just give me a shout...no charge, but it'd be nice if this guy could sent me one of his new self made datewheels then :)

Regards.

Edited by FlipLockBuckle

I often wondered why someone could not just print a new date wheel with proper fonts and then glue it over the old one. I know that it would be a little more difficult than I describe here but Photoshop skills, a computer and good printer should be able to do this.

Am I missing something?

Usil

The technology is there to do this. And the funny thing is that unless you have the correct (read as actual) plates and specific screening machine utilized by the watch companies you are likely to get better results this way. The watchmakers use dedicated screening machines and permanent micro-tolerance jigs which are built to very tight specs themselves. Because of these facts screening almost never ends up in truly accurate numbers or proper date alignment within the box. Look at all the travails Finepics and Lello have undergone. And, let me be clear, that I am not criticizing their work. I am sure it will be very good when complete.

But even with the date overlay alternative critical elements of getting it right include utilizing proper thickness non-fade printing material, readily usable adhesion system for proper alignment, appropriate quality and form of printing and ink and very precise cutting. You would be surprised how complex it becomes. But you can get it perfect. And the best part is that once it is perfected it is very easy to make datewheels for a number of different brands. :)