When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Early 5512 dial...

automatico

On VRF yesterday there was an interesting post about early 5512 dials...("Who can explain the reason for this 5512 dial?"). What I find most interesting is that in the top picture the dial has the 'swiss T 25' blurb very close to the edge of the dial and in the third picture down showing a dial mounted in a case, the 'swiss T 25' blurb is in full view. This means (to me) that the dial and dial window in this particular case are very close to the same size...26.0mm. Look closely at about 10 o'clock in the third picture down and you can see a space between the dial and case.

Also note there are no scuff marks around the edge of the dial. This means the dial has never been mounted (unlikely) or the dial really does not touch the dial seat.

So what? You say.

Well...

If this is true (dial and window the same size), it means the dial is held down on the movement only by the dial screws like the DW '5513' project that I have worried with for two years. I could see a tiny space between the dial and dial window all the way around and I worried about dial screws getting loose and allowing the dial to flop up and down between the top plate and hour hand so I finally made a little bitty spacer to take up the space and allow the dial to seat against the spacer.

The dial in the DW '5513' case did not rest on the dial seat at all but rested just under the dial seat and held in place only by the dial screws.

The movement is solidly located in the case by a ledge machined inside the case and a shoulder machined on the top movement plate bottoms out against it and held in place by the casing screws. The dial is not forced up against the dial seat at all.

Look at a picture of a 1520/30/60/70 and you can see how the top plate is made...the top plate is smaller in diameter above the shoulder.

It has been years since I worked on a genuine 5512/13 and I never noticed any of this and never measured the diameter of the dial window.

The dial windows on my Yuki 5512 and 5513 cases both have an OD of 25.6mm and the dial mounts up against the dial seat.

Questions:

1...Anyone know the dial window diameter of a genuine 5512/5513 case? The dials are 26.0mm. 

2...Anyone put a 5512/13 project together with oem spec dial/case and notice a space between the dial and case?

3...There was a post on here a year or two showing a genuine 5512 or 5513 case with a caliper in the dial window taking the measurement but I can not find it. Anyone have a link to it?