When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help, Buffing out scuff marks on SS Bracelet

jester69

I've got some scuff marks on my SS bracelet and would like any advice how to buff these to match the rest of the band. Pic below.

Note: I'm a machinist and have buffing supplies, but would like specific advice on doing this on a watch bracelet. I'm just worried I'll have to buff the entire thing.

I mean is there some magic polish out there that I can hand apply to buff this out?

post-65836-0-34593600-1407458980_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Scotchbrite pad is a better solution than steel wool or sandpaper. Or use a fiberglass pen. A fiberglass pen is more accurate and you can easily work on a single link with one. Steel wool is usually carbon steel and you generally don't wnat to embed carbon steel particles into stainless steel. Sand paper will leave grit that can hasten the demise of your bracelet.

Kitchen plastic pan cleaner is what I've used upto now.

I found that varying the pressure produces different finishes from very fine grain up to deep medium grain, and it's not that abrasive, so it's a process of "slow and steady" gets there in the end.

I would worry about sandpaper being more abrasive than plastic that if I slipped and got one stroke wrong, it would take quite a bit to correct it, but something very light, one wrong slip and it hardly marks it - but of course it does take a lot longer to get the finish required.

I also found it is VERY advisable to use a brand new kitchen scrapy sponge every job, then you know exactly what it will do when you start using it, and there's no hard, crusty bits of blackened cooked things stuck in it :)

Kitchen plastic pan cleaner is what I've used upto now.

I just have one question fraggle42. Has Simon ever named his cat? ;)

You're quite right! Unless you're well practiced, slow and steady is the best approach for touching up your case metal.

• Like 1

If you're looking for Rolex style brushed finish, here's what I use. Picked up the tip from a gen watch forum. It's available at Home Depot. Also, the wet or dry sandpaper works fine also.

DSCN4892.jpg

Don't get the wrong idea.. This isn't steel wool. It's a scotch brite pad the "replaces 0000 steel wool". Read the package again.

• Like 1