When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hair spring - Is this its normal shape?

GenTLe

No. Coils should not be touching anywhere and should be evenly spaced all the way to the center. The second most outer coil looks to be slightly deforemed causing it to touch on one side and be too far apart on the other. Either there is something on the spring making it stick on the one side or there is permanent deformation causing the distortion of the coil.

Better if I don't tell you what I use to degrease this thing (after I took away the novodiac jewels) :D

In Italy it's called "AVIO", and it was used to dry-wash the clothes in laundrette. Basically it's "hexane", alias rectified benzine, alias "benzene".

And you MUST use it only in well aerated places since it's clearly a toxic stuff to breathe.

It dries by it self in less then 2 mins :)

• 1 month later...

There are a couple caveats in cleaning your hairspring. You can use a water based process but you need to never let it air dry. Your pivots will rust. If you use something solvent based you must ensure that it is shellac friendly when dealing with a balance complete. Your roller jewel is attached with shellac. Naphta is good as is xylene. Alcohol is a definite no-no. I think acetone will dissolve the shellac as well.

One Dip or carbon tetrachloride is best. Blot the extra solution off with watch paper or cigarette paper (non-glued) or with watchmaker sawdust which is very cheap.