When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bying my first replica need some advice

djunky

HI

First of all thanks for a great forum

I have read a lot and learned a lot

I used the term bezel which im not sure is correct, even read this bit http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/81797-illustrated-glossary-of-watch-parts/ :)

But with bezel i mean the inside of the watch :)

My question is, what is most correct version.. The one from Kurvasit has it inside but the one from pure-time does not.. But the one from pure-time seems to be a better build quality and the price difference is 200$

Am i being to picky? if not, can you is there a place to get bot good quality with the laser marking? maybe some one could recommend another TD :) 

pic 1from kurvasit.com

pic 2 from pure-time.com

pic 3 real daytona

283vxg.jpg

65xxjm.jpg

oh2wpx.jpg

the part you are referring to as the bezel is the rehaut. the bezel runs around the crystal on the outside. now if you are referring to the rolexrolex text depending on model, both will have. contact seller to provide qc photos prior to buying to make sure they are lined up. but if you are looking for the overwhelming flaw to this generation of Daytona it would be its thickness. now that being said the difference between the kurvasit model and the one from puretime, because of price is probably the version and movement inside. ideally you'd want a chrono movement and at this point means a 775x based movement. this version will be thicker. there is a slimmer model available, but this does not have any chrono function, significantly less in price, but more correct in general appearance. good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

i would never rely on the rehaut to be perfectly aligned all around. 

it happens sometimes but its rarely fully aligned.

your better bet would be to get a vintage model where there is no engraved rehaut.

i personally think daytona looked waaaay better back in the day.

the vintage models also come in seagull ST19 hand wind movement which imo is 1000x better than a A7750.

if youre dead set on a modern tona though, youll just have to toss the dice and see how it turns out.

no TD is gonna reject the watch based on the rehaut not being perfect.

good luck

• Like 1

The best bet for the daytona is older Zenith reps. There wasn't an engraving and the reps are more mature.

At the end of the day, nobody does a real great job on the engraving. It's just one of the tells you need to deal with. It's a relatively small one compared to the others.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. The vintage Daytonas are quite fine and specially reliable reps. The handwound movement is nothing to put You off, its even real fun to have it that way.

The modern looking Daytona is one of the most desirable but also the most unreliable rep You can buy. It´s much too thick and anyone will notice that if he´s ever seen a gen. The movement is not made for supporting the constantly running seconds at six (missing jewels despite the publicity) so it puts a lot of strain and wear on the movement itself. It´s a question of time (a few hours, a few weeks....) until it breaks down (or is worn out). The watch will not run any more at all and is just an expensive paperweight. The only somewhat successful solution is to just wear it for a few hours a week and than stop it as soon it´s off the wrist.  For someone new, there are too many things to look at in a first qc-picture session from misaligned engravings to wrong positioned markers and non-resetting to 12 subdials and main hands.  

Another Rolex is a better and more reliable choice You will be able to enjoy for a long time. The advice would be to get another one first so You have a running watch. Than later, if You still decide to risk it, get it, when it breaks You already have another watch. :)  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...