When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V5 running very fast!

panerai153

Wore my AP V5 diver to work today, didn't pay much attention to the time, as we have clocks everywhere in the OR. When I got home, I noticed that it was about 10-12 minutes fast! I set it by the atomic clock last evening, so in around 20 hours it gained that much. I just got this one back from Vac and it seemed to be OK for the first few days. Never had a watch become magnetized, but was wondering if this was possible?

Get the back off and have a good look at the coils on the hairspring. Possibly a couple of coils stuck to one another.

Magnetised...possibly but I would say unlikely.

I'm going with a sticky hairspring.

Fix is to remove the balance c ock dip the balance spring in cleaning fluid ( lighter fluid works) try not to immerse the upper balance jewel.

Remove and gently blow dry the spring, not with your breath!

Replace the balance c ock.

Thanks ceejay, unfortunately, I don't have the skills or tools to do any repairs. What is crazy, last night I wound  it a few times, re set it and also set my FC V3 both to the  atomic clock, I put both of them on my desk crown up. This morning, they were about 5 seconds apart!! I don't know what happened, but I know yesterday it was running really fast, today it's fine. I'll wear it some today and see if wearing has any affect, but right now it looks like it's OK. Is it possible that the hairspring may have come unstuck? At any rate, it just got back from Vac, and this is the slow beat movement that he installed, so if it isn't correct, he will take it back and get it sorted out. 

I have a similar problem with a Vac modified AP low beat movement. Seems erratic in its behaviour. On the winder it gains 10+ minutes a day. Wearing it, I have had various results.

If I have had a day with not much movement it will gain about 10 to 20 seconds. If it's a day with a lot of movement it will be in the minutes.

Seems like the more charged it is, the faster it runs.

Anyone ever experienced this before?

I don't have and issue with Vac, he does quality work, and he stands behind what he does. I have had stability problems with slow beat movements before. What is really interesting is the gen owners seem to be having the same problems!! The AP forum on The Rolex Forums has a similar thread, owners are complaining that their Divers with the AP movement are running fast, for no apparent reason. Right now mine is running OK, we will see. If it acts up again, I'll contact Vac and send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The converted low-beat movements sometimes display accuracy issues. I had a modified 21,600bph diver that ran about 20min fast per day. I had it serviced and it became good again. Like what panerai153 mentioned, this problem strangely occurs in the gen diver as well. I owned briefly a stainless steel diver, but sold it to buy the v3.5 and keep the remainder of the cash. That watch would run about 5-7min fast suddenly on some days, and accurately like a champ on most of the other days. I have no idea what the issue is. I did read somewhere that the 28,800bph movement is more accurate and stable overall, but I do not know enough to make a learned opinion here.

What I do know is that I would leave my next rep diver movement unmodded @ 28,800bph, to avoid this issue. :)  

Damn, I'm surprised this is the first time someone has brought this up. All the low beat vac modified divers on sale right none and none of them mention this issue.

Obviously it has been brought up before, but on other forums. What will drive you crazy is inconsistency!! If your watch runs 25-60 seconds fast or slow all the time, it can be regulated, but when it gains 5 minutes in 24 hours, and the next day runs spot on, how do you regulate that? I'm on vacation now, and it brought the AP V5 with me, so far it's doing fine, but who knows what tomorrow will bring!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, it did it again last evening. Didn't wear it for a day, wound it, set it and put it on, about and hour later, checking with my IPhone, it was about a minute+ fast.

Looks like when I get home from vacation, it's going back to Vac for some adjustment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk