When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Quartz AP sharing

tobico

post-3682-141215547511.jpg

Sharing my new toy from China, I had many rep watch but most of them failed after 1 year. I'm now focusing on Quartz and hope they can last longer...

I already had 2 high end AP ROO, this is the new one I just got...

post-3682-141215563053.jpgpost-3682-141215565262.jpg

Can the experts share with me the difference between this Quartz version and the Swiss version?

There is no swiss version of this watch, don't be fooled. The best you can buy is the A7750 sec@12 movement, also called the "ultimate" version

I'm no expert, but from what I know, the differences can be simplified as such:

a. Quartz: battery powered movement, "ultimate" version: A7750 sec@12 movement, an automatic self-winding movement

b. Differences in dial layout between the two, like subdial placements, datewheel position, datewheel font, etc. The ultimate version is more accurate and better finished usually..

c. Reliability: Ironically, the quartz movement has a better reliability than the A7750 sec@12 version, but there are ways to improve the reliability of the sec@12 movement. Read up on it.

d. The general overall quality of the ultimate version is better in terms of case, dial, pushers, straps etc.. but the quartz ROO has a thinner case that is actually more accurate when compared with gen

e. Finally, a difference of about $400-500 between the two versions depending on actual model of ROO. ;) 

That's a damn beast!

Not trying to threadcrap but since we're talking about quartz APs... here is mine.

One heck of a watch, quartz or not. Sapphire crystal on this too!

14849400447_882f29a272_c.jpgAudemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph by tylerswatches, on Flickr

Edited by UmpaHimself

That's a damn beast!

Not trying to threadcrap but since we're talking about quartz APs... here is mine.

One heck of a watch, quartz or not. Sapphire crystal on this too!

14849400447_882f29a272_c.jpgAudemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph by tylerswatches, on Flickr

That is a beauty mate! Where did you get her? :)

• Like 1

Legend, thank you so much for the detail explaination

I understand the difference in the movement, but can you tell me more about the case and dial, as they seem very close to me

For the survivor, its close for both automatic and quartz movement versions, given that they are mostly black. 

For detailed visual comparisons, I have not done that.. you can easily compare your watch against pics of the A7750 sec@12 survivor.