When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Stiff Should The Rotor Be?

Devedander

So I cracked open one of my asian auto watches to peek inside and lube the o-ring and noticed the rotor spins very freely... as in if I tip the watch 180 degrees and snap it back to flat on it's face the rotor may spin up to 3 or 4 times...

But then I was messing around in my Ingy taking some pictures and greasing it up and noticed the roter is much more stiff on it... it will usually fall to the bottom of the watch on it's own, but I haven't been able to get it to swing all the way around more than once on it's own... this seems odd as I would think the better movement would be the one to spin more revolutions etc...

Is there some standard for how stiff these are or is it determined by the type of movement how freely it rotates....

I have read your basics but must have missed the part where you describe how free the rotor should be...

And this may seem silly but does the "Swiss Made" stamped on the rotor reeally mean anything? Or do our Asian finished ETAs also feature Swiss made stamped on them?

I must admit I too couldn't see references about the rotor and the types of winding. I am interested in the answer too.

Sorry, I thought the links explained it better. It's there, but not self explainatory.

Here's the quick version:

If the rotor has to wind the mainspring while it turns, it is facing resistance as it turns. On a bi-directional winding watch there is resistance in both directions and the rotor feels "stiff" all the time...

On a uni-directional winding watch, the rotor only has resistance in one direction, and is quite free to turn in the other direction as there is no resistance.

I have no seen any Asian models stamped Swiss made, I have seen various copies of ETA models, but normally they are unmarked...

If it's a uni-directional winding rotor, it's Asian...

Any pics to show it off??

RG

Why it just so happens I do...

168099-10517.jpg

168099-10518.jpg

168099-10519.jpg

168099-10520.jpg

I processed the heck out of the shot that shows the rotor but it says "Twenty Five 25 Jewels Swiss Made"

BTW it's bi directional... stiff in both directions... it's ok to push these around with your finger right?

Edited by Devedander

Rodico can also be a pain in the ass! Yes it can clean but it can also distribute oil as well so be scrupulous with it. Use the finger cots as explained above, try not to shape rodico with your fingers, you may put oils on to it which you then dab on to the movement... be careful with dial printing, it can and will remove it given the chance. And no Dev, Blue tack is not the same ;)

I also have the same question. On my Ingie, the rotor doesn't seem to swing freely at all. The only way it swings more than 1 revolution is if I swing it pretty hard (whether fully wound or no power).

The Zigmeister did respond that it could possibly be a defective click wheel, but for the past 6 days, the watch seems to keep pretty accurate time, but I do hand wind it every couple of days.

However, on my watch, there are slight clicking sounds when the rotor swings. Dealers says that this is how the movement is supposed to be and the watch should make sounds if it is operating normally. I will be sending it to get serviced anyhow as this is one of my favorite watches.

Is this really normal?

A bi-directional rotor should not swing freely, it's trying to wind the mainspring so it has some resistance to overcome.

As for your particular model, you did not say the type of movement, I am guessing a 2836 or 2824...if so, that model should only have clicking sounds when the watch is fully wound.

THe clicking would be the bridle cable on the mainspring releasing, but anything less than full wind, and there should be NO clicking sound... Other models can click, but not this one...

RG

I haven't noticed mine making any significant clicking sounds... it is louder than I thought an ETA would be and does make the metalic "ting" when being swung around that my Asian autos make, but not nearly as bad as an Asian auto on either count... the odd thing is I don't think my PO does this...

I am thinking it's just normal opperation for this watch as it's keeping good time and it ran over 24 hours on it's back in my watchbox with the only winding be that of being on my wrist for a day.

Edited by Devedander

A bi-directional rotor should not swing freely, it's trying to wind the mainspring so it has some resistance to overcome.

As for your particular model, you did not say the type of movement, I am guessing a 2836 or 2824...if so, that model should only have clicking sounds when the watch is fully wound.

THe clicking would be the bridle cable on the mainspring releasing, but anything less than full wind, and there should be NO clicking sound... Other models can click, but not this one...

RG

That is very interesting Rob. Both of my ETAs (2824 and 2836) make clicking sounds when being wound with the rotor, whether fully wound or not. I had posted about it HERE. The video is not working, but I went into great detail explaining what I was observing.

Jim

You should only be able to hear any clicking on a ETA 2836 series when the mainspring is fully wound. The click on the crown gear, and the crown gear to mainspring gear click are quite quiet and normally dont' make any sounds...

I wonder why your particular model is making noises...normally I only hear anything once fully wound, not before...

RG