When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking about giving up gen watches

spazthecat

Good thread. I think gen watches are a different story. I agree that spending 1K for maintenane is a little too much but it's worth it. I own 5 gens and wear them regularly, but more than once aweek I want to wear that rep whose gen counterpart I'll never buy., like the Breguet Type XX, the Blancpain 50 Fathoms, the Rolex Daytona and the Patek Nautilus, to mention just a few.    I think Gens and Reps make a perfect combination, when it comes to enjoy this hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think that gen above 3 to 5k are worth keeping and will retain some value. I don't buy gen to resell them anyway because it's a long process to find a nice one to my taste and flash this amount of money. I must admit that the fact that none of my kids are into watches anyway play against it too. When I die who knows where they gonna end up!?

I must admit that the last 5 years the rep are getting better even if it's almost impossible to get ETAs mov without modding. And some gen will for ever be out of my league when I can have the pleasure to try them as rep.... no brainer.

I started to check reps when I stumble on some while leaving in Southeast Asia years ago. Back to EU I got some gens (because the reps open my appetite) but really found the service overpriced (500€ for regular service on a 2k watch really surprised me).

Don't think I will buy gens anymore or only if I win the lotto .... but again you have to put on the side the same amount of money just for servicing and repairs.

I don't dive anymore making the all waterproof story a thing from the past. Don't trust waterproofing from TD anyway. Got 3 Seiko if I need to swim but have a tendency to take keep them out of the water after a bad experience with a gen omega!

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Good discussion.

So, now the real question, which one do I buy next:)

1. TC Sub

2. Blackbay (red)

3. Liquid Metal PO (just because most of my watches look like Submariners)

Blancpain FiftyFathoms

B&R 02 (now on Toro special)

Monblanc chrono

UN chrono (again on Toro special now)

IWC TopGun full ceramic v3 (not the Doppel one and with an easy mod on top gun logo paint)

Iwc st. Exupery model year 2006 (if you manage to find it: mine came recently from Sead)

*Many* great Panerai

Yachtmaster I (latest versions with blue or kind of sparkling grey dials)

Graham chronofighter classic with white subdials (another on special @Toro)

Many Breitling

Many APs

Many Hublot

Chopard mille miglia chrono (with latest chrono Asian Eta clone, not the 7750)

Etc etc...

I used to collect gen only. I didn't have a very high opinion on reps at all. Until I bought a bk sub from a member on another forum. I really couldn't find a big enough difference in them, at least not a 6k difference anyway. Now I am so in love with really good reps, even more so than gens. I figured the same thing the op does. And I love and enjoy my reps even more than the gens I used to own. I can buy as 10 reps for enjoy 5k gen.