When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is my watch busted or am I'm time traveling?

rails

I recently ordered an IWC 0156 from Andrew, and when it arrived right out of the package the second hand was spinning like crazy. Days turned into minutes, minutes to seconds, and I am asking myself... Where has all the time gone? I digress.

Anyhow, I asked Andrew what the deal might be, and he suggested I wind the watch 30 rotations or so, and let it wind down, repeat for a few days and perhaps it might correct itself. After doing this for about a week I'm convinced this trick ain't working.

I really don't want to run the risk by sending it back for repair. Is anyone familiar with this kind of issue, who might be able to point me to more info/possible fix.

Many thanks,

• Like 1

Hi: I understand you received the watch in that condition, that is not working properly. Andrew is a very responsible dealer and I´m sure hell replace it by sending you a new watch as he shipped  defective píece to you. . Once you receive the new watch you can send the defective one back to him, and that´s  the end of the problem. You have to be patient though as this process may take more than a few days. 

Good luck.

@alterego - I have purchased from Andrew in the past, and I plan to again. I truly believe he is one of the best TD. He has offered repair service, however I would like to see if this is repairable/fixable locally.

@misiekped - yes, this also happens immediately on wind, and when wound down it will happen on tap, or with balance movement / any motion.

Uhhhh........    Don't expect this to happen.   If you cannot have it looked at locally, Andrew will ask for it back to be repaired.   He will NOT ship you a new watch first!

Hi: I understand you received the watch in that condition, that is not working properly. Andrew is a very responsible dealer and I´m sure hell replace it by sending you a new watch as he shipped  defective píece to you. . Once you receive the new watch you can send the defective one back to him, and that´s  the end of the problem. You have to be patient though as this process may take more than a few days. 

Good luck.

@pcardoza - Correct, I have been in constant communication with Andrew, and have sent him videos of the watch behaving badly. He made the offer to repair, and made the process very clear. This is why I am reaching out to the community, to see if this is a fixable issue by another means.

PM Sent

@pcardoza - Correct, I have been in constant communication with Andrew, and have sent him videos of the watch behaving badly. He made the offer to repair, and made the process very clear. This is why I am reaching out to the community, to see if this is a fixable issue by another means.

Only thing I can imagine is hairspring with some oil on it that got "glued", meaning its spires got attached between them, making the balance wheel to run much faster than it should.

Not a difficult fix but it needs a good hand and tools. And it would be better to fully service the movement anyway.

Look here: Sticky Hairspring: http://youtu.be/oVT8DRAGLxM

Edited by GenTLe

If the second hand spinning crazy when you winding and with any movement of the watch- there is no palette fork connection between escapement wheel

Most likely no jewel in palette fork

Oh yes! My hypothesis was if it was taking like 2 or 3 hours faster a day. If it is "crazy fast" what miskieped wrote is 99.99% correct. Not an easy problem unfortunately. If it's 2824 or 2836 based you can ask an horologist to replace the fork with thè original one. If it's a 7750 I'm not sure at all that the ETA77750 gen one will fit...

I think the best is to send it back with EMS...

As it´s new send it back and meanwhile order another watch from another TD to pass the time. The turnaround will be 2-3 months. As it´s being repaired, not replaced it´s not so great but there is nothing You/we can do about.

A new 2813 costs around $30 usd but the cost for putting it in will probably be another $80 to $120 (just supposing) plus posting, unless You have a rep-friendly watchsmith around the corner.