When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Western Union payment?

bloopdad

HI

I've researched the Trusted Dealer, watch style (Omega CrPO Chrono from BP steel on steel 45mm), researched the movement A7750 and am happy with the price.

(also looking at the CrPO 45mm non chrono with orange markers from Noob- but that's another story...) 

The payment method the TD requires is through Western Union.

Is this normal? I'm in the UK, will there be any issues? Is this the safest way to pay for the watch for both myself and the TD?

Hoping for a heads up.

Bloopdad

Being new, your payment options with some TD's will be limited.   Most of them do accept PayPal, but often only after some history with them, via WU. They can be scammed by unscrupulous buyers fairly easily.  You light also inquire about using a CC.

WU is fine, as long as it's a forum-recognized TD. I've never used it and have bought using only PP, but I wouldn't hesitate if the dealer is well regarded and reliable.

In regards to the watch - the noob CrPO is a fantastic piece with a reliable movement. Me personally, I steer well clear of modified (or even stock) A7750 movements. Just too much trouble.

Edited by Resistor

Bloopdad

Don't try using WU online to pay. Tried this a few weeks ago to purchase a watch from a TD in China. WU rang me and wanted to know the date of birth and telephone number of the person I was sending the money to. As I couldn't provide those details - and had no intention of creating any embarrassment by asking the TD for them - WU declined to send the money and cancelled the transaction.

If you are going to use WU, use their site to try and find one of their agents in your local area and visit there in person so you make your payment through the agent. That advice I got from a member on RWI.

HTH

Regards

Edited by omegex

Thanks omegex that's a great tip about using a local wu agent. Much better handing over money in person than online.

Resistor - yes, I'm beginning to shy away from the Chrono, too many complex parts, high service costs and many reports of unreliability (although many are very happy with their A7750, but I don't want to risk it).

Plus the Noob crpo is a great looking piece. Top of my list is reliability so I think the Noob is a better bet than the chrono from BP.

Thanks for all your advice.

Very much appreciated.

Bloopdad

Just another quick question... after looking up the Noob watch (CrPO 45mm black bezel steel on steel), I've been trying to get a definitive answer on the best movement.

There seems to be many different options.

I'd like an Asian A2836 is this the best movement for reliability and timekeeping? Or is there one I've missed?

Sorry to be a pain.

Bloopdad

The A2836 works just fine for me. I'd avoid the Miyota, even though it's probably a more reliable movement longterm, it often suffers from jerky second hand motion due to the weight of the PO hand.

As always, steer clear of "Swiss" movements because you're going to get ripped off or receive a rusty old salvaged ETA.