When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing hands

GenTLe

I have 3 couples of levers.

These (1 pair untouched and one pair sharpened):
LHT003.jpg

and these (which are originally for something else but are good for the small seconds or the chrono hands):
P1040374.jpg

Plus I have a Presto 1 and a Presto 6:
ofrei-400.jpgofrei-405.jpg

I had problems with hands splitted from their tubes: twice for minute hands (that I managed to reinsert in their tubes!) and twice with center chrono second hand.

A friend of mine (10 years horologist) told me to use levers instead of the tools, but I'm wondering if the force with the levers isn't provided asimmetrically and so worse than with the tool.
More over for the central second, he told me to put a micro drop of oil before to try the removal... Is it valid? Maybe some WD40 in the tube hole.

And finally, with the levers and presto: Do you use them to take out ALL the hands in a go or you manage to take out 1st the second, then the minute and finally the hour hand?

Thanks, GenTLe

Levers all the way for me...broken too many second pinions with the pullers. I have a whole box of movements that don't have second hands. Also, pry one at a time (at least for me). You get more control over the pressure exerted that way and where it gets focused. Lastly, this should go with out saying - put a piece of plastic or saran wrap over the whole lot before you start pulling. Those hands will pop off sometimes, never to be seen again.

Best,

Bob

Let's try a different approach: should the levers apply their force on the hand horizontal inferior surface, near to where they connect to their tubes or below the tiny tube wall sections (where there is the tiny step between the tube and the cannon pinion)?

I think pullers can work too. I've seen the watchmaker do it many time, but slowly squeeze and never pull up. I agree with having Saran Wrap or having the watch in a bag or do it in a corner where the hands can bounce back down after they pop off as direction can be anywhere. Again the puller really shouldn't be called that. Bergeron and others that sell these tool are very specific as not to pull, but to squeeze with slow even pressure. I do agree on lever for the tiny chrono hand. Removing hands is always challenging. The risks of thin seconds hand and chrono timer hands.