When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Helenarou 5513 case set? Has anyone used this one? (See link)

bobandshawn

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy this case and put a Yuki dial on a Swiss ETA. Has anyone used this? I have the 6538 case and it seems "OK" in my eyes. Does anyone know if the bezel is gen spec (because the 6538 isn't). Any screaming issues with this one? Obstacles to a build?

Thank in advance for any input!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321573767327?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bob

He states that the case uses a T19, so would assume the retaining ring and bezel are gen spec or at least gen-like...  You could ask him what size insert the bezel will accept (gen inserts are 36.55mm OD).

As far as the case goes, here is my brief list:

• Lug profile is a bit off.. the taper from the mid section to the lug tip starts too early (this cannot be fixed)
  • insert is terrible, but that is to be expected (this can be replaced)
  • crown height is too low (not fixable without major surgery)
  • back of CG's are not very good and is angled incorrectly (potentially fixable)
  • mid section of case, at the base of the crown guards, is too thick.. the lugs are slightly fat... but the Yuki case suffers from the same thing. (fixable)
  • caseback appears to be way too tall/thick.. (not fixable)
  • the CG's looks a bit too pointy.. I think this is a result of the low crown position as the tips of the CG's should be colinear with the center of the crown. (not fixable)
  • Rehaut looks to be a touch too deep.. again, mostly likely a compensation of the lower crown height.. (not fixable)

On the bright side, it is 1/2 the cost of the Yuki case and it will accept a gen movement.  Bezel looks acceptable

• Like 2

He states that the case uses a T19, so would assume the retaining ring and bezel are gen spec or at least gen-like...  You could ask him what size insert the bezel will accept (gen inserts are 36.55mm OD).

As far as the case goes, here is my brief list:

• Lug profile is a bit off.. the taper from the mid section to the lug tip starts too early (this cannot be fixed)
  • insert is terrible, but that is to be expected (this can be replaced)
  • crown height is too low (not fixable without major surgery)
  • back of CG's are not very good and is angled incorrectly (potentially fixable)
  • mid section of case, at the base of the crown guards, is too thick.. the lugs are slightly fat... but the Yuki case suffers from the same thing. (fixable)
  • caseback appears to be way too tall/thick.. (not fixable)
  • the CG's looks a bit too pointy.. I think this is a result of the low crown position as the tips of the CG's should be colinear with the center of the crown. (not fixable)
  • Rehaut looks to be a touch too deep.. again, mostly likely a compensation of the lower crown height.. (not fixable)

On the bright side, it is 1/2 the cost of the Yuki case and it will accept a gen movement.  Bezel looks acceptable

how do you really feel?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The case tube hole is too large to use a gen spec tube among other things.

That is a big tube hole...but the Athaya crown screws right on so it wan't and issue for me.

B

The case tube hole is too large to use a gen spec tube among other things.

I have a franken Tudor sub built from a HR 5513 case and can confirm the bezel assembly is not gen spec and is horrible (loose and sticky at the same time, bezel too shallow to the point of feeling knife edge sharp). I replaced mine with a Clark's gen spec bezel assembly, but used the HR flat spring to give it the correct press down to turn resistance of the old style auto-lock bezels (the Clark spring was too thin and let it turn too freely whether pressed down or not).

The case tube and threads are also not gen spec as stated by someone above (and confirmed by HR via email). However, the tube already fitted will accept a gen 702 crown without any modification, which is what I used.

I didn't like the distortion the superdome plexi gave the dial, but I was planning on swapping it anyway since my gen dial had a date window. A gen spec Tropic 125 fitted just fine using the Clark's retaining ring.

Unsure about the case back sizing, I doubt it is interchangeable with anything else because a supposedly gen spec 9411 case back I have fell flat against the back without the threads ever engaging, so it may be a larger opening than gen?

Shape wise, after lots of research I decided it was plenty close enough for my needs without any remodelling. In fact, I've lost count of the number of 79090 and 5513 subs I've seen for sale that look damn identical in photos. All that was done to mine was light ageing.

Hope this helps :) will see if I can link a photo or two if wanted?

Looks like it's just about finished. While I'm not too happy with the bezel/insert...I'm very happy with the overall build. Everything went together smoothly and I like it on my wrist. It doesn't rise to the quality standards of a "dbane" build...but I'm very happy for a daily beater!

20150107_085449_zpsxfyl5xjo.jpg

• Like 1