When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stallone Talks Panerai

tvt

Over on the movie site "aint it cool news" Sylvester Stallone has been answering fan questions leading up to the new Rocky movie.

I fired in a question for him about his connection with Panerai but someone else beat me to it. Here is the question a fan asked him and his response... kind of interesting.

Question:

Sly,

Long time fan. I’ve noticed that you are truly a connoisseur of fine wristwatches. From the Tag Heuer wristwatch you wore in “Cobra” to the sweet Panerai that you wore in “Daylight.” I even understand that you’d given Arnold Schwarzenegger a Panerai as a gift that he subsequently wore in “Eraser.”

In watching “The Contender” last year, I noticed that you always had a sweet timepiece on your wrist. What would you consider your favorite wristwatch? What wristwatches do you wear on a regular basis?

Michael

Answer:

Well, I’m very flattered to wear a Panerai that’s named after me called “The Sly Tech,” even though it resembles a bathroom scale because of it’s prehistoric proportions. It reminds me of how the original Panerai was discovered. When I was doing DAYLIGHT, which by the way was the most toxically enhanced film I’ve ever done. By that I mean, the Italians, who were the special effects people, would light actual car tires and would burn molten rubber to create smoke in the tunnels, which made us resemble overworked Welsh coalminers in a matter of minutes. Sometimes the haze was so thick I couldn’t even see my watch, so I went looking for one and there I found this obscure watch called Panerai, which was designed for underwater demolition teams stationed in the murky waters of Naples Bay. If you have never seen Naples bay and it’s renowned clarity, you can do a legitimate reenactment by plunging your face into a bowl of molten fudge and you’ll get the idea. So when Arnold saw the Panerai he liked it and it caught on. Before you knew it, the company grew from a $1.3 million mediocre watch company to one valued at over $400 million and purchased by Cartier.

What I like in this story is that it demonstrates that there exist plenty of cool, high quality genuine watches outside the luxury industry, waiting to get public's attention.

Like Panerai years ago, these watches brands have as many arguments as the most famous brands to reach the top: Poljot, Hamilton, Marathon, etc. They just did not use them yet.

What I like doing is to propect for such watches. I don't care about the brand, I just care about the watch.

I think he was saying the Slytech is his favorite. I mean he does not specificaly address it but I htink that is what he was saying.

Yeah I agree, they had a short interview with him in Details magazine about the new Rocky film. And there it was plain as day on his wrist the Slytech guess that's his "daily beater".

MK08

Edited by MK08