When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 ... Lumisanity Insanity

blue.

Now that´s one of those moments I think is worth sharing!

We all know 1016 dials (gen service ones in mint condition) are rare, very rare, and X times even more desired on the market, which is why prices inflate insanely...

A few of us have missed some dials on the bay in the bidding process over the years.

Some 6 months ago I missed a nice NOS dial + original hands from the UK, the seller was a retired person who had worked for Rolex Bexley as I understood :)

Though, to no surprise ... was outbid by someone else (maybe a chap from the forums?) and the dial went for 960 $. I stopped bidding pretty early as the numbers got too high.

Last week I was curiously browsing the bay for a 1016 gen service dial as they appear in a 3-6 months time frame, with open price end, lets say for bidding.

A nice service dial appeared, stating mint condition. Upon picture inspection I saw at least 4 scratches ... hard to fix, if at all ... but not so severe.

Talking about the price. As I landed into the bidding there were 2 bidders, price 2-3 $ by the time. Easy, would someone say, its mine in a few days!

On Saturday the price had gone a bit up by 35 $ ... with 5 bidders!

Now guess what!

Today, the bidding ends in a few hours, we have 11 bidders and the price is about 560 $!

I personally except (from experience) that the end price would end by around +900 $. Why?

Because there are NOS 1016 dials with hands within the range of 1000$ on the bay.

I bet at least 2 forum members are in the bidding :whistling:

P.S. Not sure who is ready to shell out 600-900$ for a scratched dial anyway ... Insanity at its finest.

Edited by blue.

As I assume many of the forums are, I am always looking for gen parts and have had similar results.  Not long ago thought I had a 1016 dial for a decent price and in the last 10 minutes bidding went crazy and price increased by several hundred $.  I have yet to actually score a good deal outside of people I know.  Too many people collecting watches.

• Like 2