When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7753 Teardown Question (pic)

billyfras

Hey guys, Im tearing down a 7753 movement and I've hit a bit of a snag. This little sucker I've pointed to in the picture is attached to the minute counting wheel on the other side and I'm unsure how to separate them.

Any instructions?

Also, in removing the hammer spring, it very nearly flew away into oblivion. The tension was so great. Any pointers on how to safely remove it next time?

7753.jpg

Use hand levers to remove the wheel it is a press fit.

The spring bar should be released pretty early on after you have removed the auto module. You can pull the end out and carefully lift it over the plates to remove the tension then unclip it.

Hmmm...not sure if we are talking the correct spring? But always remove tension from a spring before removing it.

• 3 weeks later...

For that gear, I used the (very sharp) end of my tweezers to push out the minute counting wheel shaft from it (after all the bridge that were keeping the minute counting wheel were removed!).

For the flying spring: put a layer of cellophane over the movement and work through it (or cover your hands and the movement with a transparent layer of plastic)

Ok, so the first time I tried removing the gear with my hand removal tool (since I do not have hand levers yet). Unfortunately the hand removal tool did not get fully beneath the gear. As a result, the force separated the gear into two parts while removing it. Fortunately they were able to snap back together. I should have taken pictures but I was more concerned with finishing the tear down. Since then, I reassembled and disassembled the movement again. The second time, I used screwdrivers as a lever to slowly pry the gear upwards. Then there was enough space for the hand remover to get beneath and removal was successful

Unfortunately, the teardown did not reveal the source of the problem to my untrained eye. The balance wheel still stops once the movement is turned upside down. I'll continue to try figuring it out, while learning more about the movement overall.

And thanks for the tips on removing the spring. I'll put them to use!