When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Panerai Experts!

elprimerozen

If o-ring means inserting a thin rubber/plastic cover over the pin holding the lever in place that may be your easiest fix. :)

That fix is the best one (the only one) when the lever is loose in the 'open' position.

On what elprimerozen said, his problem seems to be a loose lever in the 'closed' position.

In this case, acting only on the pin would not preserve water resistance: this needs the lever pushing onto the crown guard.

To this type of problem, the real solution is that from pugwash.

If filing the CG feet is not enough, adding a second o-ring (gasket) below the crown (where the crown sits on its tube) may help.

Filing the CG feet may not suffice beacuse one cannot file them beyond a given amount without ruining the threads of the CG screws.

On filing the CG feet one also needs to be careful in preserving their curved shape to fit the case. Just file a little amount, then test the lever, and so on.

Glad it worked, zen.

I am quite positive that adding a second gasket to the one already present would cover the remaining 5% now.

If you go for it, just be sure to use some elastic glue (e.g. silicon or diving rubber glue) to seal the two gaskets together, not ordinary epoxy glue.

Epoxy are too hard and unelastic, they crystallize in a few days, and they simply can't stand the repeated pressures that come from closing the lever.

You may not believe it but LOCTITE works...

put a bit of Loctite on the hole of the crown guard lever... then immidiately put the pin in (dont let it dry)..

Wait a bit to dry (approx 20-30 seconds) but not too much... Then open the lever 1 time every minute...

This method makes a small 'crust' of loctite between the pin and the hole without letting them glue with eachother.

I did it on my wifes 50 and still a couple of weeks later the lever has stopped being floppy :)

Today I did it in my destro and it is perfect as well :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You may not believe it but LOCTITE works...

put a bit of Loctite on the hole of the crown guard lever... then immidiately put the pin in (dont let it dry)..

Wait a bit to dry (approx 20-30 seconds) but not too much... Then open the lever 1 time every minute...

This method makes a small 'crust' of loctite between the pin and the hole without letting them glue with eachother.

I did it on my wifes 50 and still a couple of weeks later the lever has stopped being floppy :)

Today I did it in my destro and it is perfect as well :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great tip, V, thanks!

But, as I said, that is a fix for the 'loose lever in open position' -- a completely different beast from the one in closed position.

The open position one is simply due to the [reps] lacking the small rubber tube around the lever pin, while the closed position issue is due to too much distance/room between the lever and the crown -- which also affects water resistance.

So, simply making the lever harder to move by increasing the attrition between it and the crown guard does not actually make for a true fix of the closed position issue, while it is the perfect fix for the open position.

Btw, also silicon works like Loctite to the open position fix.

Great tip, V, thanks!

But, as I said, that is a fix for the 'loose lever in open position' -- a completely different beast from the one in closed position.

The open position one is simply due to the [reps] lacking the small rubber tube around the lever pin, while the closed position issue is due to too much distance/room between the lever and the crown -- which also affects water resistance.

So, simply making the lever harder to move by increasing the attrition between it and the crown guard does not actually make for a true fix of the closed position issue, while it is the perfect fix for the open position.

Btw, also silicon works like Loctite to the open position fix.

Of course you are right.. My tip was for the floppy lever not the distance from the crown :thumbsupsmileyanim: