When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It seems like it's harder to source gen AP Diver parts

Riverking2

I see a lot of franken AP ROO on here and other rep forums and haven't seen many franken AP Divers. Is it because the gen parts are harder to source? 

I was starting to think it makes more sense to go for franken AP ROO then AP Diver since AP ROO costs anywhere around $25k-40k. So if one were to invest $5k into a franken AP ROO, it's still fraction of the cost. Whereas AP Diver costs about $15K and you would be spending about 1/3 of the cost for a franken. 

What do you guys think?

I haven't ever seen any gen diver parts, apart from strap and buckle of course. The most franked way to go seems to be full mods at a modder(Vac, Domi etc) and then put in a lowbeat movement(ETA 2846 or Tissot Powermatic 80).... Not much else to do. Would probably total somewhere over 1000 usd mark. 

Edited by rillesnille

AP Parts are more hard to source than Rolex parts but there are franken AP projects. Pretty expensive projects though but you are already known of the fact it will kost you around 5k :)

Unfortunately I never saw a franken AP Diver or gen diver parts for sale..

Interesting project, that's for sure! 

Seeing the accuracy level of the diver reps these days, it may not be worthwhile to do a franken, just for 10% more improvement in the accuracy of the watch. 

Lets put it this way, the only real gen part needed for a franken diver is the inner bezel. 

The case, crystal, straps, buckle, and dial are good enough for real-life wear. 

Like what rillesnille mentioned, a low beat movement conversion is the only mod to do when you own a recent iteration of the diver. (Noob V4 FC, ceramic, or V6/7 stainless steel diver). The rep has evolved to a stage whereby it is not worth the time and money, in my opinion, to build a franken. Yes of course, it would bring the watch to a (slightly) higher level, but the improvements would be subtle and it would not be worth the efforts. ;)

Question for the experts:  even if one were to get one of the latest Divers (the versions Legend posted above), would a buyer of a new watch have to send it to a modder in order to get it waterproofed (think swimming in a pool, or splashing around in the ocean) and serviced (to clean mechanism and get a properly working watch)?

Question for the experts:  even if one were to get one of the latest Divers (the versions Legend posted above), would a buyer of a new watch have to send it to a modder in order to get it waterproofed (think swimming in a pool, or splashing around in the ocean) and serviced (to clean mechanism and get a properly working watch)?

I personally wouldn't swim with it but if you like to wear it while swimming I would recommend you a waterproof test, just to make sure. Some dealers can waterproof a watch if I am not mistaken?

Question for the experts: even if one were to get one of the latest Divers (the versions Legend posted above), would a buyer of a new watch have to send it to a modder in order to get it waterproofed (think swimming in a pool, or splashing around in the ocean) and serviced (to clean mechanism and get a properly working watch)?

Yes believe it or not rep divers can be waterproofed to reasonable standards for swimming and showering. :)

You just need to request the modder to do it.

Sent from Mars using tapatalk