When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with Daytona Dial

gmg_3

Hello guys, I have been searching for a gen big red dial for the last few months. Im passed on this dial and was looking to confirm my suspicions. I low balled the guy and it ended up selling. I make the right call or miss a mint dial ?

- coronet looks off

- lume looks brand new

- back looks new

- saw a similar stamped singer big red on here that was rep

* edit - round O where most have a flat oval O

esq8ts.jpg

If anyone is looking to let one go for gen pushers..

sgo6mx.jpg

Can't believe someone can think this dial looks "ok",

Some photos of gen dial for reference

First, a service Black Dial :

P6271252.JPG

P6271258.JPG

P6271264.JPG

Second, a genuine original Silver Dial :

IMG_6462.JPG

--

Well, I'll take a bit of time to explain what is wrong with this dial :

1- Clearly, the coronet is not service. To me, it's a genuine original Singer coronet

2- The lume can't be original. "White Tritium" on manual Daytona dials does not exist. Also look at the size of the lume dots. 100% redone by unskilled watchmaker w/ shitty material. Even DW's lume is better :)

3- The "red" Daytona is neither Service or Original "Big Red". No serifs whatsoever, bad placement, bad size, and bad font (just look at this "O"). No way it's Rolex printing.

I'll even do a quick photoshop to let you see how ugly it is :

comp.jpg

Considering it's pretty impossible to remove the "original" Daytona printing w/o dirty result, this dial is most likely fake

4- After better looking, the numbers on the sub-dials looks "fat" to me, especially compared with the gen black service dial. Sub-dial bars have serifs, but numbers lacks of serif (compared to original not service dial). Sub-dials are not looking service dial

5- Lack of serifs on the "T - SWISS - T" -- like a service dial, but this dial is supposed to be original ? no ? :)

6- ROC looks quite fat to me

In conclusion, this dial is a strange mix between original / service printings, original crown, fake red Daytona, and too fat IMO to be original ROC, sub-dial printings w/o the good serif, but sub-dial bars w/ serifs

My bet is it's a "good" redone dial... But difficult to say for sure without good macro photos :)

And to be honest, the "first look" reminds me my first prod. DW dial. Especially the contrast between the ROC / outer ring witch is "too dark", and the silver base. The "sunburst" effect is also too much to be original. It's a big tell at the first look.

The only good thing in this dial is the geometry of the sub-dials, it let me think it's more likely a redone dial than a 100% fake