When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What ROO to get?

ljm54

Hi all

Im relativley new to this forum so if these questions have been discussed ad naseum, I apologize. I'll start off by saying I have little experience with watches either gen or rep. I have one gen datejust that was given to me by my dad. that said, I really do like the look of the ap roo. I want to get a black dial, steel case, with an open caseback, as close to the look of a gen as possible. After scouring puretime and looking at the endless variations of roos (a daunting task) I'm left looking for advice on what my best options are. Between all the different versions and suppliers (I'm under the impression that JF and Noob are the best) I'd like to know which one would be the most fitting for my criteria. I dont plan to mod my watch, abliet for maybe a gen strap, and I'm not too anal about every detail being exact, I'd just like to know what watch could pass for the authentic look and feel of a roo (are the weight of these watches are comparable to gens?).

Thanks so much, I appreciate your guy's advice

Edited by ljm54

I would have to agree, I believe the diver in one form or another is a great choice. The AP ROO Chronographs are beautiful watches as well, and some are pretty close to gen, but the A7750 movement can be problematic, and should you get a bad one, very few folks work on them. As I told someone else last week, get your feet wet with the divers, then progress to the ROO chronographs when you feel comfortable with you knowledge of the watches, what to look for and possibly a line on someone to fix it should it break!!

The Divers all usea variations of the 2824 movement which is a sturdy, workhorse  movement. It's and easy movement to work on , and there are lots of alternatives should you need to have it serviced. As tinitonsi said, the V7 diver is probably the best one out the box. There are several other models of the diver, the Forged Carbon, the Rose Gold the, the full ceramic, the QE II Cup are all choices that you might want to look at depending on what you are looking for.

Here are a couple of photos of the three divers I have, I have the V5 Stainless Steel, the Forged Carbon (FC) V3 and the Rose Gold.

post-327-0-60024100-1421970480_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-45036800-1421970500_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Im relativley new to this forum so if these questions have been discussed ad naseum, I apologize. I'll start off by saying I have little experience with watches either gen or rep. I have one gen datejust that was given to me by my dad. that said, I really do like the look of the ap roo. I want to get a black dial, steel case, with an open caseback, as close to the look of a gen as possible. After scouring puretime and looking at the endless variations of roos (a daunting task) I'm left looking for advice on what my best options are. Between all the different versions and suppliers (I'm under the impression that JF and Noob are the best) I'd like to know which one would be the most fitting for my criteria. I dont plan to mod my watch, abliet for maybe a gen strap, and I'm not too anal about every detail being exact, I'd just like to know what watch could pass for the authentic look and feel of a roo (are the weight of these watches are comparable to gens?).

Thanks so much, I appreciate your guy's advice

Welcome to RWG and AP territory! Good taste! ;)

I see that you have been introduced to a myriad of divers by my friends above. I tend to agree with them, divers are a good choice for beginners. Also, you might wish to take a look at the 2014 Black themes, it matches all your criterias. I did a review on the 2014 black themes by JF in this section. You can search for it. 

Actually, Noob and JF are the only quality makers of the ROO reps currently, and subtle differences exist between Noob and JF versions of the same watch, particularly in the date font, case shape, AR, dial details etc.. differences are very subtle though. 

Weight of the stainless steel versions of the reps and gens are within 95% of each other. Reps for the rose gold and platinum versions are generally significantly lighter. 

Thanks for the advice. Another question if you would, what does "best edition" mean?

I think that is self-explanatory and if you read the dealer sites, you would understand that for the same rep model, there could be several editions or iterations. 

Take note though that the concept of "best edition" could be superceded by the next "best edition" and so on. 

I have two Rose Gold, the diver in the photo above and a RG Rubberclad ROO chrono. while these are not daily wearers, I wear them pretty frequently, the diver more than the Chrono, thus far they are both holding up very well, no sign of any plating wear at all. I believe that the plating on these higher quality reps is pretty good. I think that where you could have problems would be gold plated bracelets, with more wear on the clasp from "desk diving". Also I suspect that if you were to get a deep scratch or gouge, you might expose the stainless steel underneath. Barring a real catastrophe though, I feel like they will hold up pretty well with occasional wear, and by that I mean in a 5-6 or more rotation.