When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Online Repair Course At Tz?

cortopar

It looks like you're about $350 or so into the class and tools/supplies. Is it worthwhile?

I think you can get through the level 1 class for closer to $200. Granted, a community college class would cost less, but you're not going to find a watch making class at most if any community colleges. So, yea, I'd say it's worth the money. $200-$300 is peanuts for a hobby IMO.

To put it in perspective one of my other hobbies is RC cars... I got a CHEAP car for $220 that I drove all of 3 times and used to learn about taking apart the electronics. I think I got my value out of it... if it's going to be a hobbie you have real interest in, $350 is nothing in the big picture.

But if you want a dial swapped or a movement regulated once or twice, best to just pay someone to do it.

You could just start with a couple of cheep canal st reps and play with them to see if you have the tactility to do it, buy a cheep tool set and take apart a broken movement and try to re-assemble it, start by taking out the crown them re fit it and so on, see how far you get and how your patience lasts with a loupe and tweasers. No point in spending $200 to find you chuck it at the wall after 5 min :blowup: . I bought a £15 tool kit from Precious Time a while ago, and have regulated my reps and made a few repairs, now i know i can handle it i am thinking of taking the course.