When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sourcing parts - any online stores other than eBay?

watchgal

Hi RWG,

I am the lucky recipient of a 1680 case with a lovely aged rep dial.  I'm looking to add a Genuine 1570 movement and am having trouble locating one that isn't almost $2k - on eBay they fetch silly prices.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can find one?  Also, I will need to find some hands too but they seem to be on the aforementioned auction site.

I have no idea who built this case, it looks very very good..  I'll take some photos and will upload them today to see if we can identify who may have built it.

I can't want  to wear it!

cheers

You might try over on the Vintage Rolex Forum Marketplace. Please do not mention reps or here or anywhere else remotely related to reps. they will kick you off and you will be forever banned. They have lots of  parts, just need to visit often and stay on the lookout. Sales posts there are carefully scrutinized, so much, much less chance of getting an aftermarket or rep parts than on Ebay. Serviced movements should be a good bit less than 2K. If you want to build a really nice 1680, I would also think about a gen dial as well. I would rather have a gen dial and an ETA 2846 movement than a rep dial and a Rolex movement.

Here is mine, gen dial,  insert, pearl, crown/tube endlinks bracelet/clasp running  an ETA 2846 slow beat movement. Excuse the speck of dirt on the dial partially obscuring the 660.

post-327-0-46348500-1426119434_thumb.jpg

I'll agree panerai that I went down that of a genstein with a 1570 movement. It's not worth it. Especially since there are some amazing brushed silver datewheels out there. I want the gen 1570 movement just for that reason alone but went out the door when some members created a silver datewheel. There is a guy named majiola who sells 1570 for around 1.2k but you will need to tell him you serial number and cannot mention reps

Thanks guys. I'm well aware to  never mention a rep to well, anyone other than on here or the guy that gave me the case!

I know who majola is - I'll email him and see if he has any.  I assumed he wouldn't as he didn't have any posts recently on VRF listing them. In fact, very few seem to land on VRF.

I want to get the watch going, wear it and then look for  gen dial and hands over the following months.  My plan is to have it all genuine bah the actual case. Then I'll keep it forever and wear it during those times when I don't want to wear my genuine watches... like on holidays or out drinking to the wee hours of the morning!  :clap2:

You might try over on the Vintage Rolex Forum Marketplace. Please do not mention reps or here or anywhere else remotely related to reps. they will kick you off and you will be forever banned. They have lots of  parts, just need to visit often and stay on the lookout. Sales posts there are carefully scrutinized, so much, much less chance of getting an aftermarket or rep parts than on Ebay. Serviced movements should be a good bit less than 2K. If you want to build a really nice 1680, I would also think about a gen dial as well. I would rather have a gen dial and an ETA 2846 movement than a rep dial and a Rolex movement.

Here is mine, gen dial,  insert, pearl, crown/tube endlinks bracelet/clasp running  an ETA 2846 slow beat movement. Excuse the speck of dirt on the dial partially obscuring the 660.

attachicon.gif1680a.jpg

This one looks fantastic :)   well done!

Thanks, it was definitely a work in progress. I bought it around 2007, and finally finished

it up in 2013.

The only problem with and all gen except case 1680, by the time you add a gen dial, hands, insert, pearl,crown/tube, movement, bracelet and endlinks, you are going to have about 70-80% of the price of a decent gen. Which is fine if you love the watch, and you really plan to keep it forever.. But, if you fall out of love and decide to move it on, you are going to find that reps in that price range are hard to sell. There are not many buyers about who are going to fork over 3-4 k for a rep. Lots have been on the sales forum for months and months, and the seller ends up parting them out to try to get back some of his/her investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your case has the cut-out @ 9 o'clock for the 167x plate lock screw to fit into, so it looks like it may be genuine.

As for a gen movement, you can ask around at some local watchmakers, but, generally, ebay is your best chance of getting 1 for less than market value. Of course, then you also risk getting a lemon. But if you stick to sellers with 99+% ratings & long (more than 5 year) histories of selling Rolex watches/parts with lots of good, clear photos, you should be fine. You are certainly welcome to post the pics here if you want 2nd opinions. However, when buying Rolex, you should be prepared to pay the going price. Trading a 10% savings for peace of mind is not a very good exchange rate in my opinion. Also, once you have assembled a gen case & movement, only a gen dial (crown & handset) will do. So be prepared for ongoing sticker shock.

Good luck & happy hunting! IMG_00392__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Thank you freddie.  Wow so a possibility it's genuine?  hmmmm intresting!

I'm waiting to hear back from the VRF guy that had a bunch of movements for sale. Fingers crossed he's still got a 1570!  I'll snap it up if so!

Would it be sacrilegious if I made it into a TT?  Obviously it would be a total franken, but hey anyway I spin it its a franken - I've come this far :p  :bangin::g:

Edited by watchgal

So I've found a 1570 movements  either hacking or no-hacking variants.  But they do not have the date mechanism on them.  Apparently a D serial version can have the date mechanism added to it.

Can anyone tell me if that will fit my 1680 case above?  And adding the date mechanism - anyone done that or know if it's difficult thing to do?

Edited by watchgal

So I've found a 1570 movements either hacking or no-hacking variants. But they do not have the date mechanism on them. Apparently a D serial version can have the date mechanism added to it.

Can anyone tell me if that will fit my 1680 case above? And adding the date mechanism - anyone done that or know if it's difficult thing to do?

Watchgal

Send me a pm

I have some which you may be interested