When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jewel mods ?

I have seen quite a few AP ROO's for sale on the various forums touting movement mods by VAC that include the jewel mod. Most of these seem to be guys that are selling watches that have passed through a couple of owners, and possibly the service history is vague. The reason I ask this is because a year or so back u asked the same question to VAC and he told me that he did not do jewel mods. I understood that Domi was the only one that did this mid on a commercial basis. I believe that this is important as most folks that are selling seem to put a premium on these mods. If he dies, I stand corrected, but if not, I think people should not advertise something that hasn't been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello A

As far as I remember, Vac does not do the jewel mod. He could have added this mod to his list of offerings recently but I would not know about that.

Domi does the 3 jewel mod, on all the transfer gears, and Goin does the jewel mod on the final gear. I would not recommend Goin for this mod though. He messed up and destroyed the plate on my watch after doing the mod. It caused the watch not to run at all!

For Vac, no experience with him in this regard, and I do not have intention to use him.

I would recommend the ETA mainspring mod over the jewel mod, A. You should have some first-hand experience about how the mainspring mod improves a watch.. ;)

OK so back to the question, and my 2 cents: Unless I see it physically, I would not take it for granted that Vac does, or did jewel mods on any sec@12 A7750 watches (namely ROO reps). Nor would I believe that he does ETA mainspring replacements, for reasons known clearly to you and me. 

Never heard of that one before! Would you be so kind to educate me?

Over the past few months, I have fitted ETA mainsprings (or commonly called swiss mainsprings) in my rep ROOs.

Compared with the asian mainsprings supplied with the watch originally, the swiss mainsprings have much higher tensile strength, and provides much stronger force to drive the gears, overcoming the inherent friction present in the A7750 sec@12 designs much better. Also, the swiss mainsprings provide a much better power reserve compared with the asian ones. (about 55+ hrs compared with the 40ish hours for asian mainsprings). Timekeeping, power reserve, and reliability all show marked improvement in my watches fitted with the swiss mainsprings. Best $65 ever spent!

I definitely strongly recommend it over the jewel mod. I own watches with the 3 jewel mod, the ETA mainspring mod, and one watch with both mods. In my opinion, all of them run EQUALLY well. So why spend more time and money on the 3 jewel mod when a much simpler and cheaper solution does the same thing, and provide better power reserve simultaneously? ;)

Over the past few months, I have fitted ETA mainsprings (or commonly called swiss mainsprings) in my rep ROOs.

Compared with the asian mainsprings supplied with the watch originally, the swiss mainsprings have much higher tensile strength, and provides much stronger force to drive the gears, overcoming the inherent friction present in the A7750 sec@12 designs much better. Also, the swiss mainsprings provide a much better power reserve compared with the asian ones. (about 55+ hrs compared with the 40ish hours for asian mainsprings). Timekeeping, power reserve, and reliability all show marked improvement in my watches fitted with the swiss mainsprings. Best $65 ever spent!

I definitely strongly recommend it over the jewel mod. I own watches with the 3 jewel mod, the ETA mainspring mod, and one watch with both mods. In my opinion, all of them run EQUALLY well. So why spend more time and money on the 3 jewel mod when a much simpler and cheaper solution does the same thing, and provide better power reserve simultaneously? ;)

Thanks A! Would this also be applicable at the 7750's sec@6?

I have the ETA mainspring mod in one of my ROO's and as Legend stated, it makes a world of difference. It is now around 48-50 hours and before I was lucky to get a full 24 hours out of the watch. I do think that while you are getting the mainspring installed, it would be god to get a full service, including a complete stripdown, cleaning and proper oiling.

AFA the original question, I have serious doubts that Vac is doing the jewel mod.

• 3 months later...

Hi may i ask when you said swiss ETA mainspring it must be specifically for 7750 or can be any swiss ETA mainspring? Thanks

Essentially its a swiss mainspring manufactured by ETA that fits the A7750 movement. 

Not every swiss mainspring would fit the movement.