When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement for 116610 case?

AyJayKay

I have a very good 116610 ceramic Sub rep which has some Chinese movement. It was not running well so I took it to a guy who buys old watches, rebuilds them and sells them on. He was very impressed with the watch itself, but felt it deserved a better movement. So he suggested a brand new ETA 2836.

Is that a good move? I am a newbie and do not know much about watchmaking per se. The build quality of the watch is excellent and certainly up to the quality of the genuine 1675 GMT Master and 16610LV Submariner that I have. Just the movement is not great. Would $300 for the job of replacing the movement be realistic?

Depends on what you mean by some Chinese movement, if it is an ETA clone then I'd say service the movement and it'll give you years of great service. Full service should cost half of that price and give you the same outcome as a swiss ETA.

If it's a 21j cheapo then don't go for the Swiss as it would require some mods to get the dial and hands to fit.

If you want a true swiss ETA, thats not an outrageous price but not a good price by any means IMHO. I recently bought an Invicta watch on ebay that had a Swiss ETA 2824 for $120, had it serviced and installed in my TC sub case for an additional $120 for a total of $240. I only paid for the service as I also had the pinions swapped from H2 to H4 which requires the movement to be practically disassembled so it made sense at the time to pay a few extra bucks to get a full service. You could probably look around and get a donor watch with the movement in good condition for about $200 or so and just pay for a movement swap and save a few bucks.

If he is willing to swap in a new ETA movement and deal with the dial mounting and new hands (or broaching) for that price as said it's fair - as long as he knows what he's doing.

Thank for the input. The problem is that I am a newbie, so swapping out movements is a beyond me at the moment. I also would not know which donor watch to buy to make sure it has a movement which will fit. So it does make sense for me to rather pay a bit more and have the expert do it. Having said that, for not a lot more I can buy a brand new INOX http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-241682-1-I-N-O-X-Analog-Display/dp/B00L42L3WM/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1430672583&sr=1-1&keywords=inox

This is perhaps OTT, but how viable is it to buy a sterile Parnis sub with ETA 2836-2 movement and swap the movement out? That way I have a spare case and bracelet if ever I need it. To import a branded replica is not possible as our customs will seize it.

This is perhaps OTT, but how viable is it to buy a sterile Parnis sub with ETA 2836-2 movement and swap the movement out? That way I have a spare case and bracelet if ever I need it. To import a branded replica is not possible as our customs will seize it.

Parnis sub is going to have an Asian clone of the 2836 if you're going to go that route just get your movement serviced if your guy will service an Asian movement, some watch guys won't. Also, ask your guy if he'll do a movement swap with an Asian movement before you buy, if he won't service one he also might not do a swap with one. If he will do the swap this is a good way to save a few bucks as asian 2836 clones can be had for < $100.

As far as brands of donor watch you'll just have to look and do some research, if it's swiss automatic with a day date function then likely it's eta 2836. Start you search as "eta 2836" and once you find a few watches then search by that and you'll likely find a few going for less than those that have eta 2836 in the description. Just beware that there are both a 17 jewel and a 25 jewel variant, the 25 jewel version is an updated design.

Another option is the selita 220, it's a swiss clone of the eta 2836.

If you're not wanting to go the donor watch path, as said the $300 quote is a decent option and probably quicker also. Personally my desire to do the hunting and save a few bucks is stronger than some...

A brand new ETA 2836-2 is $239.00 from Otto Frei. You would have the knowledge that it is genuine Swiss and a warranty. 

http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

The ETA 2892-2 is better. $329.00, same page. 

The problem is fitting it to your watch. As already said, if it is a Chinese DG movement the dial feet are in the wrong position and the hands will not fit an ETA. Hands to fit the ETA are available in the Rolex 'Tudor' line, gen or aftermarket. 

If you have the Chinese movement, it is likely the DG2813. They can be hit or miss, but will usually last a good 3 to 5 years with no issues. My Son has one in the 16610 Submariner I got for him from one of our trusted dealers in China, wore it through all 4 years at University of Hawaii in the ocean and out, and even cliff diving with it. (Yes, I have been permanently scarred by parenthood :crazy: )

The DG2813 is $28.95 from Otto Frei, again guaranteed to be new and guaranteed to run as it's supposed to. And they are CLEAN, unlike the ones that come in our finished reps. It is recommended when buying a rep from our trusted dealers, regardless what movement including 'Swiss' to have it serviced as soon as you receive it. I doubt many do that, but it is strongly recommended by the knowledgeable here on this site.  

http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

Everyone needs to choose for themselves if they want a genuine Swiss movment, an 'Asian' ETA, or Chinese movement. I have all 3. A genuine Swiss movement, including Rolex and ETA, needs service roughly every 5 years. That service ranges from about $200 and up, as you likely know from your genuine watches. 

Having serviced a Chinese movement once (only once-never again :frusty: ) I recommend that to service a Chinese movement like a DG2813 you remove the movement from the case. Remove the hands and dial. A tool to open the case, a hand remover tool, a set of nice screwdrivers, and a hand installing tool would be needed. Cost varies but you can get all that for under $100 from Frei. Place the movement on your workbench. 

Hit the thing with a 40 ounce ball peen hammer 803-12_icon_1.jpgand sweep the mess into the garbage.

Take the brand new movement and install in reverse order.

The worst that can happen is you mess it up and take it to your watch guy and he finishes it. The absolute worst disaster that can happen is that you get some help from fellow members here, it goes beautifully, and you believe you have a new talent and these brand new tools that just scream to be used again. They will draw you in to start working on and modding watches like the rest of us. :whistling: Be forewarned! 

Take the brand new movement and install in reverse order.

minus the ball peen hammer :partytime:

The absolute worst disaster that can happen is that you get some help from fellow members here, it goes beautifully, and you believe you have a new talent and these brand new tools that just scream to be used again. They will draw you in to start working on and modding watches like the rest of us. :whistling: Be forewarned!

Of course, that's what we're here for... :bangin:

Guest baleinedessable

And we are still missing a great 116610 case with good rehaut, and accepting a 3135...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

i have for sale a Super franken 116613 two tone 21 micron bracelet Rolex submariner with MBK mooded caseset ,Swiss eta 2836 gen tube and crystal 5ATM waterproof tested pre-owned asking 450$ if interest tell me your email send you pics

Thank you

Theo

Hi Theo,

Please read the rules. Back door sales are prohibited on the forum. If you want to sell a piece please read the rules and post a proper sales thread.

Thank you.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy