When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fixed! Smp Chrono Bezel Issues.....

flavor flav

some of you may have seen my "how do i remove the bezel on the

smp chrono" post.... no one seemed to have the answer. i tried everything to get the bezel off even a bergeon bezel puller. the puller may have worked but it was too tight so i didn't want to break anything.

the issue is the insert is misaligned and the bezel turns too freely and feels like a $5 watch not a gen omega.

i ended up pulling the movement and popping out the crystal (crystal comes out and installs easy with your thumbs. no press needed) this gave me access to remove the bezel insert without damage. the glue is much stronger than previous SMP reps so i used extra care to remove it.

i solved the loose turning bezel by installing an o-ring in the inner bezel portion between the bezel and the case under the insert which holds it in. i reglued the insert at the correct alignment and now it turns with a bit of resistance like the gen and has no slop in it. feels like a genuine bezel now :D

alot more work than i figured it would be when i ordered the watch but well worth it in the end. also the other thing i learned doing this is that it's very easy to remove the crystal should one want to apply an AR coating. :g:

I used the Bergeon bezel remover. It was a b*tch and I scratched the bezel on the side along with the bezel insert. Tape up the bezel insert before you attempt removal with the Bergeon tool. Then just twist with patience and persistence. During the process I had to regrasp the bezel with the tool about three times.

It's very very VERY difficult even with the Bergeon tool.

• 5 weeks later...
some of you may have seen my "how do i remove the bezel on the

smp chrono" post.... no one seemed to have the answer. i tried everything to get the bezel off even a bergeon bezel puller. the puller may have worked but it was too tight so i didn't want to break anything.

the issue is the insert is misaligned and the bezel turns too freely and feels like a $5 watch not a gen omega.

i ended up pulling the movement and popping out the crystal (crystal comes out and installs easy with your thumbs. no press needed) this gave me access to remove the bezel insert without damage. the glue is much stronger than previous SMP reps so i used extra care to remove it.

i solved the loose turning bezel by installing an o-ring in the inner bezel portion between the bezel and the case under the insert which holds it in. i reglued the insert at the correct alignment and now it turns with a bit of resistance like the gen and has no slop in it. feels like a genuine bezel now :D

alot more work than i figured it would be when i ordered the watch but well worth it in the end. also the other thing i learned doing this is that it's very easy to remove the crystal should one want to apply an AR coating. :g:

But that would scream "rep". The gens of this body style & dial print-color don't have AR.