When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken explorer 14270 build.

danza1812

I'm at the outset of a 14270 build having had offer of a gen dial.

So from my initial searches, I'm thinking the following recipe could be successful;

Gen dial

TC or Clark hands

16200 rep ETA 2824 case

ETA 2824.

So tho leaves a couple of questions;

Will I need a custom dial spacer on the ETA case or is that just on a gen case?

Will I need to cut the stem length?

Any other thoughts, experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

You can always use one of the early 14270 cases with lugholes to start and go from there. The hands and dial on those 14270s with eta could be relumed to keep it simple. I build something like this for my wife in late 2013 and looks too good for the money spent. The bracelet that comes in those eta 14270s is not the best, but on a NATO strap no one cares and looks super good. Just a thought. The eta movement can be serviced and you can get a two-step keyless cover since you won't have a date to worry about to simplify operation and also make it more gen like. 

E

The one on that picture looks more like the 214270(correction) which is bigger. I built one of these not too long ago, but the dial was an issue and had to go custom as th case actually takes a 29.5mm to 30mm dial most dials only come in 29mm max

E

Yes just did some checking

The 14270 takes a 28mm dial as does the 114270 they each have a 36mm case (pictured above)

The 214270 has a 30mm dial and sits in a 39mm case. The dial on these now has the 'explorer' text at the bottom. That seems to e the easiest way to tell which is which.

I made a similar one earlier this year.

Gen 16200 case, gen crown, gen dial, Clark merc hands and a swiss 2824. I sold it to a good friend of mines and I am in the middle of gathering up parts for another build. Do you have any pics of your dial?

IMG_20150218_084204_1_zps9e45500e.jpg

20150218_090120_1_zps931f797a.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent. Perlon it is. Thanks mate.

See if you can find a NOS Eulit strap on the bay. I have a perlon obsession (best hot weather strap ever) and it doesn't get any better than Eulit. Not too expensive either, like $30-$70 range.

See if you can find a NOS Eulit strap on the bay. I have a perlon obsession (best hot weather strap ever) and it doesn't get any better than Eulit. Not too expensive either, like $30-$70 range.

Yes that's definitelythe one im going to go for.in all my years of watches, can't believe I've missed these. Thanks.

Edited by danza1812

I made a similar one earlier this year.

Gen 16200 case, gen crown, gen dial, Clark merc hands and a swiss 2824. I sold it to a good friend of mines and I am in the middle of gathering up parts for another build. Do you have any pics of your dial?

IMG_20150218_084204_1_zps9e45500e.jpg

20150218_090120_1_zps931f797a.jpg

Interested in using a gen case, what did you use to hold the movement in place and how was stem position?

Is that a rep bracelet or did you go gen with it?  It really is a nice looking build.

Question that I am considering - is it better to build a franken 14270 or buy a gen vintage 6694 or 1500?  A lot of these vintage gens are cheaper than these franken builds.  I dunno, I'm really leaning towards vintage gens now and then building a JMB 1016 and rocking my 114270 rep.

Interested in using a gen case, what did you use to hold the movement in place and how was stem position?

You would treat this build like you would a MyManMatt Datejust build - Raffles movement ring #2

Stem height is perfect.

If you use a JMB 16200, 2824 slim case, it already comes with the movement ring.

Is that a rep bracelet or did you go gen with it?  It really is a nice looking build.

Question that I am considering - is it better to build a franken 14270 or buy a gen vintage 6694 or 1500?  A lot of these vintage gens are cheaper than these franken builds.  I dunno, I'm really leaning towards vintage gens now and then building a JMB 1016 and rocking my 114270 rep.

It's a rep bracelet. I totally forgot the source but from what I remember, it was spot on.

Franken 14270 is a lot cheaper than any gen I know of. If you can find a all gen 1500 for under $1000, I'd jump on that.

For my next build, I am tempted to have JMB engrave 14270 between the lugs... :)

Wait. You found a gen 16200 case, gen dial, gen crown and tube for less than a grand? All in with ETA movement and hands is still under a grand? That seems like a good deal. The gen 1500s I've found are over that. Not by much, but still more than that threshold.

I think DVNE was saying that If you find a 1500 for that price you should go for it.

Ok so any ideas guys on what tube to go for. I managed to source a 603 crown. JMBs case is on the way, as is the 14270 dial.

Edited by danza1812

Wait. You found a gen 16200 case, gen dial, gen crown and tube for less than a grand?  All in with ETA movement and hands is still under a grand?  That seems like a good deal.  The gen 1500s I've found are over that.  Not by much, but still more than that threshold.

Yep.

case came with the tube $350

dial $250

NOS crown $150

I think DVNE was saying that If you find a 1500 for that price you should go for it.

Ok so any ideas guys on what tube to go for. I managed to source a 603 crown. JMBs case is on the way, as is the 14270 dial.

Yeah, I know. I just meant that I've seen some cheap ones but they are still a bit over a grand. Getting a gen for a grand or less would be sweet. I have found quite a few lady dates for my wife for under a grand, though.

Yep.

case came with the tube $350

dial $250

NOS crown $150

That's awesome.  That's a better deal than I thought would be possible.   :)  Would a Yuki 3135 fit in there or are the dimensions off?