When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken explorer 14270 build.

danza1812

309E23C0-2CFC-4D11-B281-63DE99D5BC91.png

Tritium dial now on its way.

No plans to rush this build now I've got a case, crown and dial. I hope to get a gen swiss ETA, Clark hands and crystal, wso (or gen bezel) and a decent strap over the next couple of months.

I think I will assemble it myself although getting the correct stem length is a worry for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so all parts arrived, put it together today and suspect I buggered the keyless when removing the stem to fit it.

Looks bloody good. So I will await a new movement and try again.

Just can't get stem to engage, can only wind it one way, movement works but hands won't move forwards after an hour of running but typical of my luck with Frankens! Gutted.

Looks good though...

B1F2F05C-1BCF-4331-8CD2-69F158FFE0D6.jpg

Looks great! Reset that keyless works your self. Easy peasy on that one because no DWO to cover up the keyless works.

I have to reset the keyless on my FrankenJust. Now that, is a PITA...

I find just installing hands a total nightmare! Wouldn't dare then touch this keyless parts! Got a new movement and sold the last for very little difference between the two as it happens.

As a side note I also managed to secure a gen omega NATO bond strap from the local jewellers for free when I bought the Mrs a ring so will be worn on that Silky beauty from time to time.

This is the intended result;

6932A330-A75B-4276-A242-22A473DCAF30.jpg

This one is actually on a killer nato? Anyone know what nato that is or is it a zulu or rhino?

It looks like a perlon strap to me, but I would love to find an identical one for my space dweller!

595AF503-E2E3-494C-9395-B47EEDD0F7EE.jpg

It's currently on a gorgeous Donerix leather.

Edited by Frazzle1

If you dont mind me asking where did you source the gen dial 14270 dial, does the fact that the T Swiss lettering is being slightly cropped bother you.

I know what you mean about the cropped dial. I'm in the process of re assembling with a new movement, hopefully I can centre it better this time. I actually plan on using a gen case eventually so that problem should go.

Oh and dial was from eBay.

Edited by danza1812

Ok. Take two.

Still not entirely happy with the finish. The dial sits in the case too far to the left and slightly too low. That's probably down to my poor effort in putting it together.

Think I'll hold out for a gen case and reset the dial hands and movement into it. This donor case will do for now though.

E82E45E1-D4A7-4119-8AC6-E0E2EC51525A.png

Danza, this is a nice 14270 build.

Regarding the dial centering.

You almost got it well centred. At the moment I see it being slightly to the left.

I recently had such an issue on a build.

It does not depend on the mid case itself, but on those two elements:

1. The dial centred to the movement.

2. The movement spacer ring.

If No.1 is done then No.2 is the issue. In general almost all stock movement rings have a slight tolerance. You can try to unscrew the movement tabs so you can move slightly and centre.I suggest you jam some thick paper stripe sort of in the gap that is left between the movement ring and mid case, when you start moving the movement with dial and movement ring. Then screw tightly the tabs, check if the dial is centred, remove the paper stripe, close the case, done.

Should there be no more tolerance to the right, then you would have to slightly sand the movement ring to allow to move as desired. Repeat the above procedure with the paper stripe helper and you are good to go.

Best practice is to custom fit a movement ring.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks mate.

I dismantled and reassembled the watch today and got a much better alignment. I put the watch up for sale cos I just couldn't adjust to the smaller case size, but now it's sorted it's kind of growing on me. I think I'll try a bracelet. I've compared it to some gen pieces and mine is overall pretty accurate as far as frankens go.

8996FFC5-6369-44CA-B223-F401C85FAF9F.jpg

82D46ADE-B1D5-4680-8237-36F13403C18B.png

Awesome result!

Sad to hear you are selling the piece!

If you research the franken stories here in RWG and other forums you may come to the conclusion that frankens are a well worth investment and joy for many years.

Then again other people do sell these top frankens for one reason or another.

One day you may update the hands, if you still own the watch, with TC´s V1 or V2 if you wish.

Enjoy the Explorer as much as you can, in good health.

Do you know what, you're probably right. As it happens I've always found Frankens quite hard to sell. I was offering this at my cost price of the parts and I got some good deals, but alas everyone wants a free dinner these days!

In actual fact this is growing on me simply as I've collected the parts and built this watch around a vintage dial. Philosophically, this Rolex dial was made to tell the time, it's now fulfilling its purpose.

I think I'd find it more substantial on a bracelet, I've ordered a wso one (I know) but plan to attach a gen clasp if possible to match the correct period.

Maybe I will change the crystal too? this one is hard to get properly clean inside . Think I'll order a clarks and install it fresh from the packet.

Edited by danza1812