When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Submariner 16610 Budget Build Update

marrickvilleboy

Thought i'll update you guys on this build which sadly has taken several months to finish. Most of the reason is because I had other projects more important but nonetheless, here it is.

So the original thread is below:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/176763-wip-building-a-cheaper-alternative-to-tc-submariner-16610/

The original thought was to see if a cheaper alternative could be built vs. the TC Submariner. I think i'm pretty close to shaving half the price. The original cost-benefit comparison again:

Untitled_zpsljucbqfd.png

The total that i spent was just under $300 including shipping of all the parts. The reality is, many members are upgrading their TC subs for genuine parts which means there are a surplus of TC parts around. For example, I picked up the bezel insert, DWO, bracelet, crown and tube for under $100.

The interesting part is I have a genuine 16610 D-serial piece which corresponds directly to this rep, including the flat "s" in submariner.

Another great feature of this old TW case is that there are engraving (whereas the new TCs don't) so the D-serial and 16610 T markings makes this a little nicer!

Here are the final pics, enjoy and let me know any comments (good and bad are welcome!)

IMG_3047_zpssbfhk9qy.jpg

IMG_3049_zpswhh5sjwc.jpg

IMG_3048_zpsmidcqfqd.jpg

• Like 1

Nice breakdown, good thing about TC getting new versions is that members are selling off their parts. The one comment I have is the SEL fit, it is tricky with the TW case which is why I sold my TW and ended up with a TC. Other than that great build for the cost!

Some older TC bracelets DO fit better. This is a V2/V3 hybrid on an old BK Wm9 v3 case with M serial you can see how there is almost no recess from the top of the lug to the top of the SEL. The watch is sporting gen insert, gen crystal, gen crown on BK tube, gen gaskets all throughout, with a BK dial and a mix of TC and ST hands on a high-beat asian movement for no issues with the date wheel. Not as much as a TC by any chance, but I build it from parts I had laying around. It is possible to build a nice, gen spec, or gen like Sub that can be worn daily and that will be waterproof and will also look great on the wrist. Because of how slim the case is I am tempted to go drill-through lugs for an early 16610 build. 

9F0A5E34-7F61-4C20-B475-83A773DEA276_zps

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to this party, but nice project and good outcome! You used the TC bezel/insert. I am interested in that. Did you find this to have a more rounded appearance than gen? I don't really notice it remarkably in the pictures, but had followed some discussion of this issue on his (TC's) website. I think your comment was to the effect that who is going to see this from 50 paces, anyway, which I'm on board with. I am trying to research the 16610 before I sink too much money into my first build and was thinking of going with the gen bezel right out out of the gate, but I have to say, again, that your pictures make a good argument for the TC Vintage Bezel.  Great to see your project. Thanks.