When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine 1675 retaining ring comparison

dbane883

So I just replaced the only aftermarket part left on my 1675; the crystal retaining ring. Before I put it on, thought I'd take a couple of comparison photos for those that care.

Other than not fitting the bezel quite right, there some minor details that can help you with identifying a rep from the real thing.

Tough to tell just by looking at it quickly:

7b823ee77ca7b36feb6847d72b8dfd38.jpg

But under a loupe, the rep (on the right) is milled with slightly larger grooves. The gen on the left, is milled much finer and reflects light in a rainbow hue at certain angles:

b036f929740eae375e24daa34f099e82.jpg

111ba24e48e96b229cfa1d16b88d42bc.jpg

The underside of the gen is slightly beveled/chamfered where the rep is not:

d42aea2156460a37f743b0408945b799.jpg

Now that it's installed, I feel much better now!

2be963ac5ecf1f173dbcb800a73f27e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Thanks for this, real helpful info. On this basis mine (which is bent and needs to be replaced) is also a rep, maybe that's the reason someone was able to bend it in the first place.

It would be interesting if others with known gens could corroborate this info. I have often wished the bezel parts were marked/stamped in some way to make gen identification easier.

I checked a cartel rep this week, so 100% rep, it has the bevelled under edge but not the very fine grain, although still better than the other rep ring I have. So the bevel alone is not good enough to distinguish a rep from a gen unfortunately. Knowing that you have really bought a gen retaining ring is pretty damn hard.

The bevel is for a couple of reasons.  If no bevel it's likely the bezel won't rotate properly as there would not be any clearance between bottom of bezel and top of mid-case.  When a proper "bezel stack" (ring, bezel, spring washer) is used the bezel will only rotate (easily) when pushed down - if there is no bevel (or not enough) on the underside of the ring then you can't press the bezel down.  Some rep rings (the old PT 1680 varieties come to mind) have an "undercut" instead of bevel but works the same way.  Dbane - if you would put a bevel on the back of your rep ring it would likely work.

Hmmm I'm a bit confused... as always...

I was wondering how the bevel UNDER the Retaining Ring Helps with the bezel rotation?

If I'm understanding this correctly....

The bezel is inserted (pressed) on the watch until the bottom edge clicks onto the edge of the retainer ring (small red arrow).

Bezel_Assembly.jpg

Once in place, the washer pushes the bezel up and the friction between the bezel and the retainer (light blue arrow) prevents the accidental turning of the bezel.

Bezel_Assembly_1.jpg

Pushing down on the bezel creates a small gap between the bezel and the retainer (light blue arrow) and it rotates more freely.

Bezel_Assembly_2.jpg