When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Submariner Rep

d.b

(this is a post i posted on another watch forum with so far zero feedback, so i thought i'de post it over here too to get some help...as i registered to this forum too and both are AAA+)

hi you all,

sorry for the noob post.. i'm a beginner in the rep. world..

i was looking for some advice..

what do you think about this submariner rep?

photo link here:

http://www.ay-4u.com/image/users/33469/detail/big/276538.jpg

is tha magnified date is x2.5 ? i cant tell (errr....damn beginner i am)

what about the dail? look at the fonts at 6 oclock, it looks like something is wrong with them (few are bold and few normal) is there a gen sub like these fonts setup half bold half normal?

what about the hands?

i wanna know what are the faults with this rep you all can see (if there are any, while critical faluts most important)

any piece of info will be much appreciated.

thanks alot!!!

d.b.

Edited by d.b

Looks to be a very typical Sub rep; perhaps using an old TW Best case, or similar with the deep rehaut (which is good). Of course, as with most any Rolex reps, it will need some work, modifications and parts to make it better. Here's why:

1) Bezel insert is incorrect; fonts are a bit too short; pearl is no good. Typically, the color on rep inserts is not right either. Yes... Even with black, there can be differences in color :) Swap to a gen insert... Requires a little work, but the result is worth it.

2) Crown is too tall, too thick. A genuine crown is around 1/4th shorter in profile. A swap to a genuine crown and tube will improve the appearance, but more importantly, improve the function.

3) CG's will need to be shaped and filed down. They are too thick and chunky. Better to have this problem, however... Some replicas have the CG's too thin and spikey. Better to start with too much than too little.

4) Crystal looks alright, but I'd like to see a side angle to see how tall it is, and perhaps get a better idea of that rehaut depth. This would also reveal if the crystal gasket is visible at a 3/4 angle, which is something you don't want.

5) Cyclops looks to be in the right position inboard of the edge, but looks to be slightly crooked/offcenter. This can be repositioned on the sapphire crystals.

6) Dial printing is too large and looks silver. Fonts on the 16610 dial should be white, and the printing should be crisp.

7) The SELs look okay, but not great. They look like they sit flush with the lugs, which is good, but the middle link looks a bit too rounded on the edges (common problem with reps). A different angle on this one would tell me if they're the right size on the outer links and shaped right as wel.

These are a few things off the top of my head. I am sure others can point out some additional flaws as well... As mentioned prior, other angles of the watch would help identify issues with the case profile, back, etc.

Hope this helps!

thanks alot! you did a great overview for me!

the watch is shipping, so i cant have other angles of photos yet..

yes, it isnt one of the ETA Swiss movement type rep... i know it probably has some cheaper jap movement, this is why before getting the watch i already know there might be flaws.

i'm getting this as a gift from a friend so i dont mind its a cheap, i need to thank him :]

how much do you think a "modding" for the watch will cost me?

a mod like some of the items you have offered, to make it look as close to perfect?

i know there are $190 ETA subs that probably comes much better looking right "out-of-the-box", so i would like to know if that cheaper rep worth modding

thanks for your help!

d.b

Finding gen crowns with tubes is not a difficult task. At times, I'll purchase a small lot of 10 to 20, depending on what my supplier has. They typically run $25 ea; a tube will run another $25.

To install, you'll need to extract the old tube, and usually all that's left is to run the proper sized tap through the case threads; in some (most) cases you'll need to counter sink the case hole slightly for the base of the tube to seat flush. Once this is done, simply thread the gen tube in with a bit of threadlock, and you're done.

Worst case scenario... You have to either drill the case hole bigger for the tube, or the case hole will be too large (though these instances seldom come up; most have the correct sized casehole with enough meat to run the tap).

Ziggy has a great write up in his section that outlines this very swap. Great pics and absolutely worth checking out to get a better grasp with visuals :)

Hope this helps.

R

EDIT to clarify that tubes are not gen at this price. Also want to mention that I have none in stock anyways :)

ubi, are you getting genuine 24-7030 crown tubes for $25 or generic style copies as sold by most watch supply houses?

my instinct is generic a that price however since its you one never knows :)

ive found when messing about that many generic versions, while much better than the rep fare and visually identical to the rolex issue often have both shorter threaded portion to screw into the case and also twist off pretty easy leaving me to extract the remainder left in the case.

ive never had a gen tube twist off yet and i always install both with a rat tail so the force is concentrated at the the thread and not the head

At $25, it's an aftermarket tube. But, very high quality. The threaded portion is a slight bit shorter than gen (perhaps by a few threads) but I have never had a problem with them. They function and feel just like gen... Which I stopped buying some time ago. I can still get genuines... $60 to $70 per for 7030.

in case i would like to have my sub for a glass mod..where can i purchase a brand new gen rolex submariner sapphire glass? and how much it should cost? and i mean, a real gen part.. not one of these "aftermarket faked stuff" that alot of people are trying to sell as gen for like $20..

and is matching the crown guards size to a gen suppose to be an expensive mod to do? i believe it involves working with a dremmel and working side by side with a gen sub watch \ case in order to match sizes..

what about waterproofing a sub rep that is not fully water proofed? what are the costs?

have a great weekend ya all :)

d.b

Edited by d.b

B)-->

QUOTE(d.b @ Dec 23 2006, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in case i would like to have my sub for a glass mod..where can i purchase a brand new gen rolex submariner sapphire glass? and how much it should cost? and i mean, a real gen part.. not one of these "aftermarket faked stuff" that alot of people are trying to sell as gen for like $20..

Ok, if you're about to try some heavy mods, it may be better to consider getting a better Sub. You're about to spend a horrendous amount of money on gen parts so it'd be better to start off with a more solid base. Check out Ubiquitous's 16610 Frankenrep for what you should be aiming for.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=10204

As you can see, there's no need to get a replacement crystal if you start with a decent replica.