When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Special (genuine) Watch For Graduation

slay

Nah, Breitling is probably the last watch I'd get for him. Its too much "in your face b..." IMO ;)

I thought about a Seadweller. Not a Submariner, still a Rolex and a little bit more class than a Sub. What do you guys think? Most of the other suggestions are great, too and I will take a look at them next time I visit WEMPE!

Btw. How much are AP's? Or are there any "special" Panerais without Unitas/7750 under 5k?

Guest chronomat123

If you go Rolex, then get him the SD. Or the Explorer 1. If I'm not mistaken, the list on the SD is around $5k these days.

Seadweller is a relatively indestructible watch with (IMO) better looks than the Sub. And it's a decent investment for him. It's pretty much guaranteed that 10 years down the road it'll be worth (monetarily) more than any of the other watches posted on this thread.

Seadweller is a relatively indestructible watch with (IMO) better looks than the Sub. And it's a decent investment for him. It's pretty much guaranteed that 10 years down the road it'll be worth (monetarily) more than any of the other watches posted on this thread.

I don't know about the SD as an investment. How often do you read the TZ Sales Corner? SDs rarely fetch more than subs over there.

Guest chronomat123

I don't know about the SD as an investment. How often do you read the TZ Sales Corner? SDs rarely fetch more than subs over there.

Yo HauteHippie, the SD is not what I could call an investment watch-- you're right--but do you think that any of the other watches in this post will be worth as much as the SD is in terms of percentage of original cost retained after 10 years? 20? 30? Nope.

re: resale, I know the Sub would be better, but slay mentioned he prefers the SD.

I gave my soon-to-be-brother-in-law a GEN IWC GST.

HE LOVES IT.

But then again... he's an up-and-coming watch guy.

HauteHippie and I are on the same level...

I cringe when my family members and friends ask my why I'm not wearing my GEN Yachtmaster instead of wearing my GEN IWC.

They've never heard of IWC and Rolex spends more advertising $$$ than anyone else, so Rolex MUST be better, right?

hah

I also feel like HauteHippie is right on... and would like to amend the Rolex as my FIRST choice for a college grad.

No need to blow him out of the water right away... get him hooked on something simple like a Rollie... and if his aspirations and education take him further... let him go to bigger and better things....

Or.. he can find this board.

;-)

And on the subject of the SD...

I gave my friend a rep SD and he gets more looks @ work than all the guys with GEN Subs.

Go figure.

Edited by Nanuq

Guest chronomat123

HauteHippie--

Excellent call on the Datejust, by the way. Love that rhodium Roman dial.

Guest chronomat123

I gave my soon-to-be-brother-in-law a GEN IWC GST.

HE LOVES IT.
But then again... he's an up-and-coming watch guy.

HauteHippie and I are on the same level...

I cringe when my family members and friends ask my why I'm not wearing my GEN Yachtmaster instead of wearing my GEN IWC.

They've never heard of IWC and Rolex spends more advertising $$$ than anyone else, so Rolex MUST be better, right?

hah

I also feel like HauteHippie is right on... and would like to amend the Rolex as my FIRST choice for a college grad.

No need to blow him out of the water right away... get him hooked on something simple like a Rollie... and if his aspirations and education take him further... let him go to bigger and better things....

Or.. he can find this board.

;-)

And on the subject of the SD...

I gave my friend a rep SD and he gets more looks @ work than all the guys with GEN Subs.

Go figure.

I agree. Get him a Rolex. I'm probably in his age range, and if that counts for anything, it's what I'd want. That or an IWC Aquatimer.

IMO, watches are a very personal thing - chances are you'll never buy someone exactly the watch they want. That being the case, and shooting for the center of the budget, get 'em a simple Rolex, or a great Omega or Breit. All name brand, high-end watches that will go a long way in the excitement dept. Choose a non-Rolex and go Chrono.

Rolex, well that is a whole book, and I think HauteHippie is right on the money.

But Omega, how about the 'Moon Watch'?:
173004-9114.jpg

Seconded, Speedmaster Pro - a classic thumbsupsmileyanim.gif