When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Special (genuine) Watch For Graduation

slay

My cousin will graduate from school next year, and we thought about getting him a watch. Since I'm the watch-a-holic, everyone in our family now relies on me and my sense of taste. I think they want to engrave something like "Class of 2007" on the back.

But which watch deserves to be picked for him? It has be be somewhere between 1000$ and 5000$.

One rule: No Submariner, No Seamaster

Other than that, I'm open for everything else. Be it a dress watch or a sports watch. Has to be a genuine.

Dont know if he will like it, because Breitlings are really big mofos and you cant really "hide" a breitling under your sleve.

Plus with breitling you always have the problem you have with a rolex, ppl think its either fake or you are a snob, or both!

Dont know if he will like it, because Breitlings are really big mofos and you cant really "hide" a breitling under your sleve.

Plus with breitling you always have the problem you have with a rolex, ppl think its either fake or you are a snob, or both!

The Breitling navitimer's are fairly small comparitively, and a beautiful watch! I would say they are a very classy watch, and wouldn't be branded as snobby!

Definitely Dornblüth... most beautiful watches, made to your order and you can pay them... and as he graduates next year, you have time, order now, it's done in half a year.

Verry good suggestion, because I wanted to get him a Lange in the first place, but lange does not fit in our budget <_<

Maurice LaCroix... hands down.

Some of the classiest, most affordable timepieces I've seen in a mall boutique.

Blows and Rolex out of the water IMHO.

Second choice would be a Rolex Explorer I.

Simple, clean, and goes with everything.

Third choice would be an Omega Aquaterra in black... same thing as the Rolex.... clean, simple, works with everything.

Zenith El Primero Open Class. Near the upper spending limit but an iconic movement that will last a lifetime

172734-9192.jpg

Without a doubt the best watch under 5k you can get i personally like the guilliuche dial there are 2 sizes

this watch has sport, class, eligance, style - amazing movement, collectors watch, everyday watch all wrapped up into 1 :)

172734-9193.jpg

Simple, elegant, and classy is the way to go. Flashy and big is not. And, while I absolutely acknowledge that many watches are far more interesting and desirable to an afficionado, I like millwright79's latter two suggestions the most for gifting to someone who isn't. And, I'd probably even consider the Datejust before the Explorer 1. Go with the brushed oyster band and smooth bezel. I'd also opt for the roman numeral markers. This combo is elegant, classy, yet understated. Now, personally, I happen to really like this combo with the dark blue dial, and think it'd be excellent in black as well. The Aquaterra suggestion is also excellent, IMO, for all these same reasons. But a non-watch-enthusiast is far more likely to be wowed and impressed with a Rolex than with an Omega IMO.

Here's an example (and albeit not a fabulous pic) of the Datejust combo I like. I am not necessarily recommending a used watch (although I don't think it's a bad idea), but this is a used piece from 2002 on Timezone priced at $2200 right now to illustrate what I consider a sharp gift:

172737-9188.jpg

172737-9189.jpg

Although I do prefer the contrast of a darker dial against the brushed stainless case and band, it does also looks quite nice with the Rhodium dial IMO (this one is priced at $2900) -

172737-9190.jpg

172737-9191.jpg

JLC all the way. JLC's are a temendous value: Brand name cachet, hand made with fit and finish equal to many of the highest-end watches on earth, timeless design, and manufacture movements with interesting complications. Lst time i checked, The SS reserve de march can be had for about $3800, the reverso duo (black and silver faces w/ date, small seconds, and day-night) for about $3900, 40mm master control for about $3600. and the smaller master compressor chrono for $3500. I paid around a little over 4k for the Master Hometime which has a big date, day-night, small seconds, and an independently set second hour hand.

The other thing I'd caution against is getting so creative that when the non-watch-enthusiast cousin opens the gift he has no clue whether the watch costed $500 or $5000. There have been alot of excellent suggestions, but I think it's important to remember that you're not buying it for yourself, and most people don't care how interesting the complications are and probably haven't ever heard of most high end watch manufacturers.

The other thing I'd caution against is getting so creative that when the non-watch-enthusiast cousin opens the gift he has no clue whether the watch costed $500 or $5000. There have been alot of excellent suggestions, but I think it's important to remember that you're not buying it for yourself, and most people don't care how interesting the complications are and probably haven't ever heard of most high end watch manufacturers.

I don't like this way of thinking - in that case get a boring rolex - go submariner - its a graduation present, i don't know what for - i assume college.

I think this shows more thought - not only do you open it and go wow - (the box will say more than $500) but then you get to spend time talking about it and how special it is.

Then the friends go - wow, thats interesting - and he gets to talk about it -yeah, my ___ got this for me, its a really cool watch, its the first automatic chronograph.

or they could go - Ohh, is that real? wow did ou get that on canal street.

Rolexs are cool and all, but, i would much rather give a present that has thought and a story behind it. makes it more special.

I don't like this way of thinking - in that case get a boring rolex - go submariner - its a graduation present, i don't know what for - i assume college.

I think this shows more thought - not only do you open it and go wow - (the box will say more than $500) but then you get to spend time talking about it and how special it is.

Then the friends go - wow, thats interesting - and he gets to talk about it -yeah, my ___ got this for me, its a really cool watch, its the first automatic chronograph.

or they could go - Ohh, is that real? wow did ou get that on canal street.

Rolexs are cool and all, but, i would much rather give a present that has thought and a story behind it. makes it more special.

You make some good points indeed. But I think it's only people like us who would receive a Rollie and say to themselves "this aint anything special". :)

I want this to be a watch that still has value in lets say 25 or 50 years. It has to be the kind of watch you would pass to your son or grandson.

That is why I would avoid fancy fashion watches. I'd love to get him a lange, but at 15.000+ they are out of range!

I thought about a Rolex, but Rolex seems just too easy, if you know what I mean.

on the other hand, if you take a look back in time, how could would it have been, if I had gotten a 6263 or a DRSD back in the 70s (assuming I would have been alive in the 70s)

You make some good points indeed. But I think it's only people like us who would receive a Rollie and say to themselves "this aint anything special". :)

yeah yeah, i know, i'm thinking more long term

if you want to pass it down - sub 5000, then i'd go IWC

you won't get anything fancy, but its more of a passer downer then a datejust or sub

I've given away 3 highish end watches as gifts--to my dad, to my old boss, and to an investor in my business--I always assumed that they would find the complications and skilled craftsmanship interesting in their own right and that they would find out the monetary value when they put it on their homeowners' or renters' insurance. If your recipient just isn't the kind of person who wouldn't value a fine timepiece that much, it seems to me that you'd please them more by choosing a different gift.

These 2 watches have about the same new street price:

post-53-1166900418_thumb.jpg

post-53-1166900439_thumb.jpg

IMO, watches are a very personal thing - chances are you'll never buy someone exactly the watch they want. That being the case, and shooting for the center of the budget, get 'em a simple Rolex, or a great Omega or Breit. All name brand, high-end watches that will go a long way in the excitement dept. Choose a non-Rolex and go Chrono.

Rolex, well that is a whole book, and I think chieftang is right on the money.

But Omega, how about the 'Moon Watch'?:

172793-9164.jpg

Or a Breit... how about a classic Navatimer?:

172793-9165.jpg

Edited by johnboy777

And probably even cheaper the day after tomorrow. The local AD where I'm buying my Chopard Pro One Diver says the 4995 sticker is going down to 4295 on the 26th. BTW, I'd suggest that for the graduation present since it has all of the same attributes the JLC has, but it seems a bit specialized for someone who's probably only going to want one high end piece.

My vote is for the Navitimer I have a gen and it really is a great watch. Istantly recognizable but not to flashly a really classic look. And as far as size I wear it with long sleeves and suits all the time no problem.

MK08

Just be careful not to buy the watch you think he should want, instead of a watch he actually would want. For the wis and average person these are often 2 extremely different things.

Just be careful not to buy the watch you think he should want, instead of a watch he actually would want. For the wis and average person these are often 2 extremely different things.

Guest chronomat123

172870-9151.jpg

172870-9152.jpg

172870-9153.jpg

Get him the older classic Breitling Chronomat. You can find them new old stock with full warranty anywhere, and at great discount... less than $3000 on bracelet to be sure.

They stopped production on them only last year, so it's not as though you're giving him some unwanted old watch. They are not nearly as flashy as the newer Breitlings, and aren't as retardedly oversized-- the older Chronomat shown here is 40mm, vs 44mm for the new Chronomat Evolution.

I promise you that you'll be happy you did it.