When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Observation: 2 Models Of Modern Subs Are Being Offered

bklm1234

This might help answer "who has the best sub". I'll tell you at the end of this post

(1) EddieLee, Trusty (Andrew), WO-Mart (Paul's sc-called perfect sub) have one model. This model is almost perfect. Many say it is the same watch as the noobmariner but has an ETA. It has the best dial, hand set, date mag, correct date window and cyclop placement. The CGs is over-done though. It's actually too thin and pointy at the tips which I don't know if there's room or enough metal left for CG reshaping. The crystal is a little thin (not sitting high enough from the bezel). The weakest department is the shallow rehaut. From my noobmariner, the rehaut is probably 1.6mm. 1.8 mm tops.

(2) Perfect Clones (Josh), PureTime (Angus), Belial2k, Silix (Jay & Angel), Ruby, WO-Mart (W-748) have another model. Look at all their dials. Don't they look the same? Look at the text. E.g. the spacing for the text "Submariner" is more than that in the other model's. This model falls short on the date window which is too large too squarish and too far to the right. The cyclop is of course too far to the right also and its mag is too much, more like 3x. BUT, the rehaut is excellent, excellet. I haven't seen a MBW but I have one of these and the rehaut is much deeper than the other model, very nice. The crown too. The CG is a little oversize but the good part is, compared to the other model, it has room for reshape.

"Who has the best sub". Here's my formula: take the case+crown from Josh's model, move Trusty's dial+crystal+date wheel over => you have the best sub. Let see the cost $149 (Paul's) + $139 (Paul's W-748) = $288. Also get a bezel insert ($10-60) and reshape the CGs ($120??). Total: $418 to $468. Oh, you'll have a spare ETA and a good set of hands. If only the dealers sell parts.

Eddie's sub:

172601-9220.jpg

Trusty's sub:

172601-9221.jpg

WO-Mart's so-called perfect sub:

172601-9222.jpg

Rehault of noobmariner (left). It's the same watch as Eddie's and Andrews' with an Asian movement. Compare that to the other model's.

172601-9223.jpg

WO-Mart (W-748)

172601-9224.jpg

Look at the deep rehault. Much deeper.

172601-9225.jpg

Josh's sub:

172601-9226.jpg

Angus' sub:

172601-9227.jpg

Belial2K's sub: (Belial2K seems to have reshaped the CG. Like it or not, that's personal taste. The pic shows the deep rehaut nicely)

172601-9228.jpg

Silix's

172601-9229.jpg

Ruby's

172601-9230.jpg

Every one of these has one glaring fault!!!....Look at the 4 on thje bezel insert, and then go to the official Rolex site and look at their 4...The Gen top is much wider!!....Pointing out the one irrefutable truth about rep collectors....We are all TIGHT ASSED idiots!!!...Can't we just be satisfied that we are able to have in our possession a 99% accurate reproduction of a $5500.00 watch for $ 107.00???..Fuggeddeaboutit!! :Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::bleh:

One thing: most if not all of the models pictured above as having a deeper rehaut also have a new flaw: the brushed metal ring that surrounds the dial, and which we use to base our perception of rehaut depth, is angled significantly inward.

What this does is it reduces the size of the dial, forcing the hour markers closer together, and resulting in a cyclopse that looks too far to the right. I have both of the model types reviewed, and once I noticed this, it drove me crazy!

Jinkay, but the gen's also angled. Here's a pic of my coworker's tt sub. Maybe it's not angled as much, but it's not straight.

Look at mine's rehaut, I think it's pretty close to the gen's. Another advantage mine (Josh' model) has is what By-Tor's review on Noobmariner pointed out how the crystal should blend with the rehaut. Noobmariner has a clear line between the rehaut and crystal while the gen and mine sort of have them merged.

173306-9035.jpg

mine:

173306-9036.jpg

gen:

173306-9037.jpg

Edited by bklm1234

The gen is angled ever so slightly (I have one), but the new breed of sub reps I'm referring to is angled significantly more, to the point that the dial is a whole lot smaller. I don't have to compare them side-by-side to notice, it just jumps out at me.

But I agree, the seemless transition from the crystal edge to bezel is very nice, and wanting in most reps. It's always about fixing one flaw and creating more.