When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Budget Bond Sub - Silix & Tiger-Concept

djulink

Hi Gents,

That is a comparison I've been looking for quite some time now.

Adrian (Athaya) did that before, in an old post on HF but all the photos are now missing from the original thread, and mostly Tiger-Concept (T-C) case compared at that time was different (I bought mine in sept, 2014, branded as the "V3". Now William propose a V4 case for its builds).

I spent some time this year trying to mod the T-C JB-5508 to get close to the 007 watch I was looking for, and have always asked myself:

"is the mid-case really that thicker with other 6538 builds; with Silix builds ?"

Very few days ago, I received one of the latest 6538-4 liner Big Dazza build

(that I originally planned to offer to my father for his birthday but, under the tic-tac spell, decided to keep for myself... and find another gift for him).

So, a few comparison shots :

post-66581-0-53658600-1436520016_thumb.j

post-66581-0-08388400-1436520022_thumb.j

From the shots, obvious difference come from the thickness of the mid-case and the overall design.

(the Silix is the one with the tallest crystal). You can also compare Silix and Rafflestime crowns.

post-66581-0-60761200-1436520003_thumb.j

post-66581-0-23092100-1436520028_thumb.j

Another difference comes from the bezel shape and height: T-C one is taller than the Silix one. Both cases are not engraved

post-66581-0-13526100-1436520011_thumb.j

One of the main difference is about case back: as you can notice, T-C JB5508 one has an "over-leap" case-back that put the entire case at the same "height" as the Silix more conventional case design.
That is why from the table they are sitting on, both case seem as high as each other.

I put back the insert provided with the original watch

post-66581-0-02275100-1436520166_thumb.j

Now I'm thinking to mod the Tiger-Concept to a "proper" 5508 or 6204, or 6205, but I'm wondering were I could find "pencil" hands and that gorgeous second hand with the ball at the end, like the one Joey B did and presented on this forum sometimes ago (see for example the "Leiter" thread). Or it could become another BC, as I really love those...

Any ideas/thoughts are very welcome: where could I find a 6204 dial? those "pencil" hands?

Cheers! 

Hi Gents,

That is a comparison I've been looking for quite some time now.

Adrian (Athaya) did that before, in an old post on HF but all the photos are now missing from the original thread,

and mostly Tiger-Concept (T-C) case compared at that time was different (I bought mine in sept, 2014, branded as the "V3". Now William propose a V4 case for its builds).

I spent some time this year trying to mod the T-C JB-5508 to get close to the 007 watch I was looking for, and have always asked myself:

"is the mid-case really that thicker with other 6538 builds; with Silix builds ?"

Very few days ago, I received one of the latest 6538-4 liner Big Dazza build

(that I originally planned to offer to my father for his birthday but, under the tic-tac spell, decided to keep for myself... and find another gift for him).

So, a few comparison shots :

post-66581-0-53658600-1436520016_thumb.j

post-66581-0-08388400-1436520022_thumb.j

From the shots, obvious difference come from the thickness of the mid-case and the overall design.

(the Silix is the one with the tallest crystal). You can also compare Silix and Rafflestime crowns.

post-66581-0-60761200-1436520003_thumb.j

post-66581-0-23092100-1436520028_thumb.j

Another difference comes from the bezel shape and height: T-C one is taller than the Silix one. Both cases are not engraved.
(Don't mind about the watches spring bar, I did not place them well for the photoshoot, but you can notice the drill lugs provided with Big Dazza build to accept 2mm/gen ones).

post-66581-0-13526100-1436520011_thumb.j

One of the main difference is about case back: as you can notice, T-C JB5508 one has an "over-leap" case-back that put the entire case at the same "height" as the Silix more conventional case design.
That is why from the table they are sitting on, both case seem as high as each other.

I put back the insert provided with the original watch

post-66581-0-02275100-1436520166_thumb.j

Now I'm thinking to mod the Tiger-Concept to a "proper" 5508 or 6204, or 6205, but I'm wondering were I could find "pencil" hands and that gorgeous second hand with the ball at the end, like the one Joey B did and presented on this forum sometimes ago (see for example the "Leiter" thread). Or it could become another BC, as I really love those...

Any ideas/thoughts are very welcome: where could I find a 6204 dial? those "pencil" hands?

Cheers! 

• Like 2

Well, I suppose that is doable but since Silix profile seems to be more faithful to the gen design, I don't see the point of doing so, unless you'd want to build a "small crown" model.

In any case I think you can buy the midcase alone from the same watchmakers.

Edited by djulink

I have no experience at all with the Tiger V3 case that comes with the mineral glass crystal. So, I don't know if it will take a T19 or similar acrylic crystal mounted gen style using the retainer as the V2 does. If it does, let us all know for another source of a less expensive case, as the V2 is no longer available. 

I thin out the case by taking down the lower edge of both sides of the watch. I use a big buffing wheel, which rounds the edge a bit, but gives the look of being thinner. When the top of the side is beveled, it is very close to the pics I've seen of the old thin cased Subs and GMTs. The caseback is simply wrong, but I'll live with that. 

post-16926-0-52412000-1436647630_thumb.jpost-16926-0-28147400-1436648111_thumb.j

The case engraving is by our own JMB. As you can see, he does a great job.

post-16926-0-88961200-1436646412_thumb.j

I make my own dials using water slide decals, and I lume them using a water based acrylic glow paint that gives the grainy texture and light lume to be age accurate.

The 13mm minute hand is from Helenarou, and the second and hour hands are pieced together. I could not find a pencil hour hand, so I took a rep maxi minute hand, cut and pieced together. The plated silver hands have a light plating, so I take them to bare brass 'gilt' using 1500 sandpaper. In a little time the shine fades nicely, but so far -3+ years-, none have tarnished.   

post-16926-0-74585500-1436647124_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How do I tell if I have a V1 or V2, I've cracked the stock crystal and need a replacement, I am fitting a gen 6mm crown to build a 6536 variant. But need a new plexi.  It is the case where the bezel pushes over a gasket which sits around the plexi.

We would need contribution of others members, because I can't tell the differences between 2 cases... that I've never seen...

How do I tell if I have a V1 or V2, I've cracked the stock crystal and need a replacement, I am fitting a gen 6mm crown to build a 6536 variant. But need a new plexi.  It is the case where the bezel pushes over a gasket which sits around the plexi.

Send me the OD of the case lip that holds the crystal and the ID of the crystal retainer. I may have a crystal for you. 

E

• 2 weeks later...

Send me the OD of the case lip that holds the crystal and the ID of the crystal retainer. I may have a crystal for you. 

E

I've tried a variety of Cousins plexis, I thought the armoured dive watch plexis would work best as they have an inner lip when the metal ring is removed from them, but I found the one's that fitted the rehaut didn't allow the outer bezel to fit.

I've ordered a clark T19 and it is going to have the inner diameter custom recessed. I had one done for a silix 1016 build and as it happened it also fit the TC sub case. So i'm having another one done.