When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real Tudor ranger?

marrickvilleboy

I was looking at this one the other day. I'm going to say it's a mostly real Ranger. Here's why.

From everything I have read and all the conflicting reports, no date Rangers were hand wind and had a Rose dial. It should only say Oyster underneath the logo instead of Oyster Prince.

I'm no movement expert, but it looks like a Tudor movement, and the case is probably gen too. I would guess it's a Re dialed Franken made of gen parts.

With all that said, there is so much uncertainty around Rangers that it could be some transitional Ranger. The patina on the dial and hands matches well. The hands also look to be correct; no flared minute hand and the lume on the hour hand doesn't extend all the way to the center of the hand stack. You don't see that on many of the cheaper Ranger fake/frankens in the $600-$800 price range.

I think it's a great looking watch, shows wear that a watch if it's age should, has an excellent patina, and is coming from a seller with good feedback. I would love a genuine ranger, and especially would love the no date version. The above is just my opinion.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and weigh in. Until then, my Ranger-ish says "hi!"

DSC03582_zps2ql8mp3j.jpg

DSC03572_zpsbyophi13.jpg

IMG_20150416_185609_zps5itd06rj.jpg

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

So, back in my "gen" days, it was well discussed that the Tudor Ranger was a fantasy watch. That any that were for sale were ALL contrived, no matter what was said by whom. Anyway, without iron clad proof, I would suspect any Ranger, period. Similarly, I would suspect any 5500 Explorer as well. Just too many reps out there these days.

Let me clarify my statement, it was the RED Rangers that are the "fantasy watches" the ebay one may very well be genuine, as white Rangers were real. Only way to tell is to have it verified by Rolex.

Wouldn't a Tudor have a bracelet with the Tudor emblem on it- not the Rolex crown? Also, the end links don't appear to fit very well.

But the rest of the watch looks ok and with all of those bids, someone out there likes it

Early Tudor's had Rolex signed bracelets. Generally the end pieces didn't fit the best on the 34mm cased watches, but the sub bracelets fit just as well as on Rolex subs.