When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

thick or thin watch bands?

cavi

At least in my strap collection, most of the thinner straps are more casual and the padded or thicker ones are more dressy and usually an exotic skin.  Not always though, I have a really thick brown pebbled leather and white stitch 20x20 that is casual.  I like them all...I generally do not think much about the thickness and more about whether I am going casual or formal and that will dictate strap or bracelet choice.  

For me, it depends completely on the watch.

For watches like vintage Patek, I prefer something on the thinner side to match the elegant lines and aesthetics of the watch as a whole.

19273640516_3672af1003_c.jpg

19273640486_48aef0f4fc_c.jpg

For watches like a Panerai, I need a thick strap to balance out the look as well as the way the watch wears. The size and weight of the case requires something more durable to keep it stabilized on the wrist...

19370798788_902932d578_c.jpg

Go with what you like, what fits the watch and remember pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Most of my leather straps are casual, have a nice croc for my Pam 177 and it is 4-5mm thick, my padded strap for my ML Pontos S is about 5-6mm thick and the black smooth grain leather I have for my rolex is 4mm thick. Also consider your wrist size, smaller wrist might be able to get away with a thinner strap than a larger wrist.