When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust Crown Screw

Mxibro

Hi recently my datejust 36mm has been giving my problems, movement would often stop overnight ( like the power reserve is going out ) even though its getting worn more or less 24hours a day.

this morning when adjusting the time as it has died overnight I went to change the time and whilst spinning the crown it was turning and the hands were not moving, then the crown screw literally pulled out.

I managed to put it back in and screw it clockwise and it went back in smoothly and sometimes whilst spinning I could adjust the time again, anyone have an idea of whats going on?

Edited by Mxibro

Is your watch a recent purchase, or have you owned it long term (i.e. several months/years)?

The crown coming loose is a small and trivial issue; it can be threaded/tightened to the stem, however the stem itself would need to come out to do so.

The movement stopping overnight is obviously the bigger issue; you mention that it is a problem that has only recently surfaced, so I presume you've owned the watch for some period of time (long enough to notice it as a new problem). It might be a good idea to get the movement serviced as in general there's no telling what kind of condition or age the movement was in when it was cased up during assembly. An overhaul should remedy whatever the problem may be (which could be a number of things, ranging from something as simple as hands coming into contact with one another or a dial marker to a worn out mainspring, etc).

If the watch is a recent purchase, maybe contact your TD to see about getting the issue resolved in that manner? Most are receptive to helping when troubles arise...

Is your watch a recent purchase, or have you owned it long term (i.e. several months/years)?

The crown coming loose is a small and trivial issue; it can be threaded/tightened to the stem, however the stem itself would need to come out to do so.

The movement stopping overnight is obviously the bigger issue; you mention that it is a problem that has only recently surfaced, so I presume you've owned the watch for some period of time (long enough to notice it as a new problem). It might be a good idea to get the movement serviced as in general there's no telling what kind of condition or age the movement was in when it was cased up during assembly. An overhaul should remedy whatever the problem may be (which could be a number of things, ranging from something as simple as hands coming into contact with one another or a dial marker to a worn out mainspring, etc).

If the watch is a recent purchase, maybe contact your TD to see about getting the issue resolved in that manner? Most are receptive to helping when troubles arise...

thanks for your time mate, I purchased the watch about 4 months ago, after a manual wind and shake it runs fine, this week it was running for about 60 hours without taking it off my wrist but did stop this morning, currently keeping time fine. I will probably just order another one this week and count my losses as its served me well enough for nearly half a year.