When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grey Themes Gen/Rep comparison pics

Hi guys 

Yesterday a friend/colleague of mine came to visit me at the sea. And like everybody around here, the 1st thing you look is what he has on the wrist ;) 

The question was instantly, it's gen? (even if if I know it wasn't) but I'm a modern bastard ;) 
He was honest with me, and said NO. He didn't want to say a lot about his watch... But, we everybody know where reps come from...

He had a Noob grey themes with RC bezel, and as I'm a proud owner of a Franken one, what the best moment to make some comparison pics??? 

For the many members who PMd me asking how is the grey in gen, just have a look and notice the metallic effect on the tachy. 

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics. 
I didn't have to much time to take the pics with the kids & wifes who wanted to go outside :( 

image_zpsatb9ol2l.jpg

image_zpsxvradzvq.jpg

image_zpswm1xscoe.jpg

image_zpsqjqb5qor.jpg

image_zps5jen8dnm.jpg

Wish you could have gotten them outside in better light.Yours really looks nice!! No matter what anyone says, the Date window position on the reps is pretty much a dead giveaway, if you have ever seen a gen and especially if you have seen the gen and rep side by side. Certainly nothing wrong with his, but it's pretty apparent how much better the gen dial/tachy as well as the gen or slimmed down hour hand rings look. Nice thing about AP's probably 99% of people don't know anything about them, so they can fly under the radar. I suppose in some places where there are a lot of high end watch owners, the knowledge base goes up.

Question? Did AP  ever make a grey dial rubber clad in S/S? I have a Rose Gold RC with a grey dial, but didn't know if it was made in S/S.

Question? Did AP  ever make a grey dial rubber clad in S/S? I have a Rose Gold RC with a grey dial, but didn't know if it was made in S/S.

As far I know, the response is NO. 

But sometimes we forget that even watches can be personalized. There're many companies out there that only do that (in gen world). 

So bro, feel free to make that mash-up and enjoy it ;)

I have one of those "mash ups" I took a white dial RC and replaced the bezel with a S/S bezel, as I already had another white RC. Lots of different combos possible. I do really like your grey themes, beautiful watch.

The grey themes is one of the best looking 42mm ROOs I've seen! 

Lets not kid ourselves, a good ROO franken is damn near gen, barring the very minor, negligible differences. On the wrist, in real life, a well-built franken is as gen as it looks. I would be very surprised if you get called out on even a good modded ROO rep. Like what my friend Arthur mentioned, most people would not know what an AP watch is. It all boils down to how the wearer carries himself, and I always believe in the wearer being the primary factor in determining if the watch he wears is genuine.

On the forums, the pictures are still and magnified many times. We spend a prodigious amount of time debating flaws, surmising accuracies of any given mod, and basically scrutinizing the inaccuracies of new rep releases. But imagine a gen ROO on the wrist of a police constable patrolling the streets, or the janitor taking out the trash... it would look many times more out of place than a reasonable rep on the wrist of a moderately successful businessman. That is just my 2 cents. ;)

You are absolutely correct. I have never ever even been close to being "called out" on any watch. In fact the only time anyone questioned me about a watch was a gen Rolex submariner! A sales person selling medical supplies asked me if my sub was "real"? My answer was "do you mean is it a real watch or a real Rolex"? He sort of stammered and said, "I guess is it a real Rolex, but that's silly because I know you wouldn't be wearing a fake Rolex anyway". And that was the end of the questions. I know what I can pull off, and just about any Rolex and most AP's would fall into that category. I don't give what watch I'm wearing a second thought to be honest. I don't wear my reps into AD's, although I have found that most of the AD's around here are staffed by folks who are at best marginally knowledgable about the products they sell, but you never know when you are going to run into and older sales person that loves watches and has been selling them for 40 years. He might be harder to fool! Outside of that, I wear them everywhere. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Succintly well put A. You wear the watch, and not vice versa. :)

Noob ROO reps are generally well made, but require some additional mods to bring it to a believable level in my opinion. 

Your Safari and RC are prime examples of "very believable" ROOs, without going the franken route..

I went to look at the pictures you posted again and I really like the gen like hands and bigger date font, the latter filling up the date window much better. 

I have been recently thinking to myself, if this set of mods makes a lot more economical sense than going the franken route in terms of visual satisfaction.

Of course, we KNOW implicitly that no matter what we do, it would always be a rep. But ultimately, this hobby is about self-gratification and satisfaction, and getting personal joy out of our collection. As long as we know where our own moral and social boundaries are, I see no harm in wanting to take a stock factory rep and making it as genuine looking as possible for our own enjoyment!

A I agree completely. The only problem that I see is the LWO is a lot more reliable movement. It's very frustrating as you know to get one really, really close to the gen, and then the movement lets you down. I know that there are guys who say that they have never had any problems with their a7750 movements, but to me that is like the guy/gal in medicine who says"I've never missed and IV or a spinal or and epidural" my answer to them is. "Partner, you just haven't done enough"!! If you do enough, you will have problems, same with the a7750, the law of averages will catch up sooner or later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A I agree completely. The only problem that I see is the LWO is a lot more reliable movement. It's very frustrating as you know to get one really, really close to the gen, and then the movement lets you down. I know that there are guys who say that they have never had any problems with their a7750 movements, but to me that is like the guy/gal in medicine who says"I've never missed and IV or a spinal or and epidural" my answer to them is. "Partner, you just haven't done enough"!! If you do enough, you will have problems, same with the a7750, the law of averages will catch up sooner or later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I feel you brother. I am actually monitoring my own ROO reps fitted with the swiss mainsprings, and thankfully, none of them have failed on me yet. :)

ROO reps are expensive to own and maintain, and I can understand the frustration of having an ultra-modded ROO fail due to the A7750 sec@12 movement. 

I am researching other ways to mitigate the complication of the movement, and you can be sure that I would be happy to share if my endeavor shows promise!