When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Replica Watches Disappearing?

pro expert dan

Are Replica Watches Disappearing?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. ... what do you think?

• Yes
    • No

I just saw a artical on the replica watch report site about "Replica Watches Disappearing" and i just wanted yo hear what you guys thought.

"In a recent post on The Swiss Replica Watch Blog a replica watch dealer mentioned that of replica watch manufacturing was becoming less accepted in Asian countries such as China, one of the largest sources of replica watches. This is because of the growing economic influences that are beginning to affect these countries that previously turned a blind eye towards the counterfeit industry."

http://www.replicawatchreport.com/articles...appearing?.html

Im scared. :(

This is because of the growing economic influences that are beginning to affect these countries that previously turned a blind eye towards the counterfeit industry."

http://www.replicawatchreport.com/articles...appearing?.html

Hmmm , ..... there is a point here you make ...... if they can earn they same money legally why doit illegaly ??? ..... though I dont believe that replicas will slow down during the next 5 to 8 years at least.

As long as there's a demand, there will always be rep watches. The issue is the cost to the consumer, i.e., how much are you willing to pay?

The price will inevitably increase, but so must the quality. If the quality doesn't improve. paying significantly more for a replica watch would no longer make sense IMO.

If the price is too high, the demand will decrease, and the reps will disappear. Don't you just love capitalism?

I would view it as highly unlikely that rep manufacturing is leaving China anytime soon or disappearing for that matter. China pays lip service but largely does what it wants. Now if China could develop its own high priced watch industry it might be a different story. And even if they crack down in the cities where they are currently making them factories will spring up elsewhere. As it is we are seeing more brands and better, aesthetically speaking, reps. Unfortunately there seems to be a decline in original movement ETA reps but the Chinese movements are getting better. The most recent Big Bang is a good test as to whether folks will pay $400 for a non-Swiss movement watch. Let's face it, the manufacturer is most likely selling these items for as much or more as it could get for their own branded products. Do you think it is going to slow down? :D

Supply and demand. Both will always survive providing the demand is equal to or greater than the supply.

Guest chronomat123
Did marijuana and cocaine stop gettin in the USA :Jumpy:

Good point.

Also:

Anyone who's studied international relations knows there's a huge difference between what the Chinese government promises the West it will do and what it actually does.

Guest chronomat123
Did marijuana and cocaine stop gettin in the USA :Jumpy:

Anyone who's studied international relations knows there's a huge difference between what the Chinese government promises the West it will do and what it actually does.

Interesting debate... I remember two-three years ago when these forums were realtively small, and you had to pm the sellers to get the price of the watches... Nowadays there are professional webshops, like Andrews and Joshuas, and the forums are actually participating in the development of the replicas!!

Times are indeed changing..

Maybe you can say it goes 2 ways. You will keep the cheap $10 lolex watch but another group is the rep collector that want to pay more for quality.

If you are paying $200-$300 dollar you do expect some quality. Movement should work for years and not for some month's. You expect some accuracy on the watch. Yes you will still be paying 1/10 of the price compared to a gen but more and more people want to pay more for a good quality rep.

But their is a limit to what people want to pay for a rep. Gen like breitling are sometimes sold in asia at 30-40% discounts. So a $3000 watch could be bout around $1600-2000

Now would you buy a rep at a price of $700 ? Some might do but not to many.

I think that the maximum price for a good rep should not be higher than $400 which is still acceptable to many people.

I would just like to thank the swiss watch industry for ensuring that there will always be reps in my watchcase. As long as they insist on charging $5000 for watches that can be copied and sold for a fraction of their margin in "emerging" economies, there will always be reps, whether they're made in China or anywhere else.