When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Education on Rolex

blacktrump

I was reading a post made by a member that he had purchased a rep Rolex date just 2 and was quite proud of it. But later after seeing his boss on work with a genuine version of the exact model he said he never wore the rep again. Now I don't know for Rolex but with Panerai it's almost impossible to tell its a rep without close inspection. I bought a couple pams from BK and believe me when I tell u, it's almost impossible to get called out. I want to buy a rep Rolex date just but I'm very skeptical now. Would I be easily called out? Are the Rolex reps that are of the same quality of pams? And who can I contact for this? (TD of course) I really want a rollee but not at the price of being embarrassed. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest way to educate yourself is by getting stuck into the mountain of knowledge here on this and many other forums. Read up. There's no short cuts Im afraid. I personally wouldn't bother with a rep DJ when you can find some really nice Vintage pieces at very reasonable prices these days. Save yourself the embarrassment down at the lodge and go Gen. 

Thanks for the response, but even if it's a rep doesn't mean it has to be rubbish. I own reps and gens but even a rep can be beautiful in its own right. Even if I want a rep Rolex doesn't mean I shouldn't expect a certain standard. That's all I'm saying. Prob u guys know of a particular rep model that's to standard. p.s my wrists are skinny so I don't want something to gaudy or big. Pref a old school. I was considering having @bk build one for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good feedback.  Genuine vintage DJ's are very reasonable.  You could also consider having MyManMatt build you one.  He has built me many watches and he specializes in DJ and DD.  He has his own source for parts and they are gen spec. Generally more in the 1K range though, depending on how many genuine parts are used.  Do a search of mymanmatt and you will see some of his work.  You can also PM me and I will send you some pics.    

Some good feedback.  Genuine vintage DJ's are very reasonable.  You could also consider having MyManMatt build you one.  He has built me many watches and he specializes in DJ and DD.  He has his own source for parts and they are gen spec. Generally more in the 1K range though, depending on how many genuine parts are used.  Do a search of mymanmatt and you will see some of his work.  You can also PM me and I will send you some pics.    

But generally there really isn't much in it. Although MMM's builds are very good the costs could soon rack up and you could be in Vintage gen territory say a nice 1601/1603.

Matt is the man for DJ and DD builds. I have a DD that he built, and an AirKing he built for my wife, and both are beautiful. I wouldn't been consider anyone else for those builds. He also built me a darn nice 16613 sub as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk